Bucket Seat Rebuild or Replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
Hi Everyone,

My '88 has a worn out bucket seat (drivers side) and I'm not sure the best approach to take on this.

I prefer the '89-91 style suburban buckets vs. the earlier ones:
http://r.ebay.com/jUBfke

But I could also try a rebuild of what I've already got, I've never tried to rebuild anything like this. How much skill is required? Where can parts like foam and springs and new covers be found? I've found a few sources for bench seats rebuilds but not the buckets.

any help is much appreciated.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
LMC Truck has it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 178

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This seat foam looks really close. I couldn't find the exact one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 211

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
This seat foam looks really close. I couldn't find the exact one.

That does look close, nice find. I inspected underneath the seat, the springs are in good shape so it is the foam that is collapsed. That plus covers could do it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I didn't even think about the armrests... Both seats are the same shape, but the Suburban has the armrests, and the Blazer doesn't. Also, the Blazer rear bench seat is the same as the Suburban third row seat, but I completely overlooked the middle seat. I'm sorry, man. I didn't think about the differences on your rig versus mine.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
I didn't even think about the armrests... Both seats are the same shape, but the Suburban has the armrests, and the Blazer doesn't. Also, the Blazer rear bench seat is the same as the Suburban third row seat, but I completely overlooked the middle seat. I'm sorry, man. I didn't think about the differences on your rig versus mine.

No problem - I'll do some more digging - the cushion part would be a good fit at least. If I were brave I could order the blazer set and punch a couple of holes in it for armrest access.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, I thought about that. I found this one for all three rows of seats, and it's in the velour pattern that you like. Plus, you have that front seat foam. How's the foam on the other two rows?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 172

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
Yeah, I thought about that. I found this one for all three rows of seats, and it's in the velour pattern that you like. Plus, you have that front seat foam. How's the foam on the other two rows?

Unfortunately ... everything except the captains chairs are doing great. I checked these out at Stock Interiors just now and they said the ship only as a set. I might go the route of covers for the seats after getting the padding taken care of and putting the old covers back on.

http://www.greatcovers.com/1989-chevrolet-suburban-automotive-velour-seat-cover.html

Dunno, still thinking this through. I'm also assuming you can reuse the old covers once the hog rings are cut out.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm sure you can reuse them. At least your other seats are still good. I think you have plenty of options regardless of what you do. I know my seats had some small tears in them so I bought a sewing kit from Walgreens, and my girlfriend sewed them back together, and they look good. By the way, what part of Louisiana do you live in? I'm an undergraduate at Tulane so I'm in the same state.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
I'm sure you can reuse them. At least your other seats are still good. I think you have plenty of options regardless of what you do. I know my seats had some small tears in them so I bought a sewing kit from Walgreens, and my girlfriend sewed them back together, and they look good. By the way, what part of Louisiana do you live in? I'm an undergraduate at Tulane so I'm in the same state.

I think I'll be better at sewing and hog ringing by the time this is done for sure. I'm actually up in Ruston, I teach mechanical engineering up here at LA Tech. Any posts with pics of your blazer? I'd like to see the other Louisiana square.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This is mine, and it's in Mississippi about two and a half hours from you.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14943

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Rebuilding seats are pretty easy and def cost efficient.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey