Bringing back the th350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
A couple weeks ago my th350 went out. Since then I've been swapping in a 700r4. My builder wanted the 350 core or 50 bucks, and while it would be simpler to give the core, I've been considering paying him and fixing the th350 myself. From what I can tell my pump is solid. it happily thumps into reverse, but on its final drive it slipped out all forward gears, and prior to that 2nd would feel weird, and after I couldn't get it to move no matter what gear I manually put it in. When I took it out the fluid was like engine oil with chunks, but it had a fresh filter that seems to have picked up lots of the crap. How simple would it be to fix? Im assuming that there is a clutch pack that engages for all the forward gears, could I only replace this one? How deep would I have to tear into the trans?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Take a look at my thread here:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/i-knew-this-trans-was-dead-th350-rebuild.21928/

It sounds like you had a lot of the issues I had.

All I can say is... total rebuild. "One does not half-ass a tranny rebuild" is my quote of the day.

That being said, a good rebuild kit can be had on ebay for $135 and be at your door 2 days later. You don't really need any special tools (you can make the couple that you do need), but things can get pricey if you discover (as I did) broken parts inside. Again, most things are readily available but they can add up quickly.

Have you ever worked inside a transmission before? By your post I'm thinking not. I started with a TH400 last year (http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/well-im-phukd-th400-lost-3rd.20289/) which was a much simpler trans than the 350. Even with that experience I'm a little leary about building this 350...

Anyway, since you already have a 700r4 I'd just toss the 350 unless you want to learn on it. That's up to you.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
@da_raabi great thread, I'll probably pass it along then considering that the 700 swap has drained my wallet. Good quote

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike