Brighter lights all around

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Does anyone know where to get the conversion housings for the 89-91 style grill other than lmc? I want to put them on my truck but lmc is the only place I’ve found and on my 87 I found there were many places that sold a similar product for cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hella makes a great set that uses H4 bulbs and the glass looks like regular bulbs if you dont like the clear look of the LMC. I dont have the part number but I remember them being the 165mm conversions.

Eurolamps.com sells both high beam and low beam conversions that also have regular glass to look like oem headlights. I bought a set of high and low from them over 10 years ago for my 99 Trans Am and only last year did one of the lenses crack. Those use h7 and h1 bulbs.

I believe Autopal makes a conversion kit also but I was not happy with the beam pattern of the Autopal conversion I used on my 99 Cherokee so I got rid of them. The Cherokee has a different size headlight so results may be different compared to the H4703 size.

Stay away from the ebay conversion kits and those "projector" kits they also sell on ebay. A true projector retrofit will costs hundreds and also not be contained within the space of original housing.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Probably these guys:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72UE0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ODJWANIU2ZSW&colid=9GUL7GYZTWNG&psc=0
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72UE0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ODJWANIU2ZSW&colid=9GUL7GYZTWNG&psc=0
I'd drop a set of these in too just to round out the awesomeness (I've actually got a set of these in the mail for my '06 burb. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they work):

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...version-kit-with-compact-heat-sink/3929/8565/

Those headlights are actually too big and are correct for 87 and under squares. You want to have H4703 or H4701 (low beam and high beam respectively)
I did a little searching through ebay and found the seller I bought my kit from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-2-H47...ash=item5d5ea867b0:g:pQQAAOSwhcJWM-NW&vxp=mtr

I havent installed them yet as the LMC clear has grown on me but I cleaned them up as the seller recommends and the look great now. For the price and a little elbow grease, I think they are a steal.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Hella makes a great set that uses H4 bulbs and the glass looks like regular bulbs if you dont like the clear look of the LMC. I dont have the part number but I remember them being the 165mm conversions.

Eurolamps.com sells both high beam and low beam conversions that also have regular glass to look like oem headlights. I bought a set of high and low from them over 10 years ago for my 99 Trans Am and only last year did one of the lenses crack. Those use h7 and h1 bulbs.

I believe Autopal makes a conversion kit also but I was not happy with the beam pattern of the Autopal conversion I used on my 99 Cherokee so I got rid of them. The Cherokee has a different size headlight so results may be different compared to the H4703 size.

Stay away from the ebay conversion kits and those "projector" kits they also sell on ebay. A true projector retrofit will costs hundreds and also not be contained within the space of original housing.
Alright thanks I will look into those. I like the clear look of the lmc headlights I just think I can get them for cheaper. I bought the full set of lights for $70 with a set of hids for my k20 this summer. Lmc wants that for just the housings.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Alright thanks I will look into those. I like the clear look of the lmc headlights I just think I can get them for cheaper. I bought the full set of lights for $70 with a set of hids for my k20 this summer. Lmc wants that for just the housings.

For what its worth, the LMC housing have a nice output and are made of glass so they should last long. My burb came with them on and I wanted to take them off at first site but their performance has kept them on.

I think all of the housings I referred to are more than $70 a pair. Dont cheap out on lights unless you dont really drive much at night and make sure you add a relay harness even if you are using incandescent bulbs.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
As for "not legal" lights, the only illegal lights are HIDs and you would have to swap out your headlight housings to get them on. I would also recommend adding a relay if you do run HIDs. They have a high initial draw and running it through your oem wiring causes a strain.

You are not correct there. DOT regs limit the brightness of all the bulbs. If your taillights are too bright, they could out bright the turn indicators. If the backup lights are too bright you can get a fix it ticket. If you use a spot light for a backup light, you better cover it when on the street.
I remember and old chevelle I had, where I routed wires and used a toggle on the dash and was ticketed for it, since it could be used as a warning to other drivers while you are on the road. Truckers do this with the tractor backup light and also can get ticketed.
I don't know if cops will do so, but the regs are still on the books and you can be sure an anal highway patrolman would give you a summons.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
You are not correct there. DOT regs limit the brightness of all the bulbs. If your taillights are too bright, they could out bright the turn indicators. If the backup lights are too bright you can get a fix it ticket. If you use a spot light for a backup light, you better cover it when on the street.
I remember and old chevelle I had, where I routed wires and used a toggle on the dash and was ticketed for it, since it could be used as a warning to other drivers while you are on the road. Truckers do this with the tractor backup light and also can get ticketed.
I don't know if cops will do so, but the regs are still on the books and you can be sure an anal highway patrolman would give you a summons.

You're 100% correct. I didnt think about any of those when I was typing out my response.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size

Lol typical commiefornia. I'm pretty sure I could use an aircraft landing light as a turn signal down here in Floriduh and not have a problem. I've had the grille/signal lenses off the front of my truck for over a week. I've got the bulbs zip-tied to a couple hoses for the trans/ps coolers. Drove by a ton of sheriffs, troopers, etc. Nobody cares.

It's like the wild west down here.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You can't go wrong with the LMC harness for your lights. Simple to install, just pick your routing carefully so it doesn't chafe on anything. I use the Lmc headlights and used Hella h4 bulbs purchased from Whitney, the are 55w low beam and 100w highs. Good coverage, but I'm not a fan of the bluish tint. I have purchased Led headlamp assemblies to install once the truck is painted.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have a few things for you to check- first how well is your truck grounded? I'm not sure about your '91 but I know a lot of trucks suffer from poor grounds. The negative cable goes to the alternator bracket then has to travel thru that and the engine to the little ground strap on the back of the head and goes to the firewall. Maybe that ground strap isn't even there anymore. If the vehicle isn't well grounded then all electrical items will not work as well due to the resistance in the ground path. Make sure ground wire connections are clean and free of dirt and paint. Make sure the surface the wire is grounding to is also clean and to the bare metal. Star washers can help "bite". A lot of people (myself included) ran an additional large gauge wire directly from the negative of the battery directly the frame.

Second of all- what is the condition of the "reflector" part of your light housing? You mentioned turn signals, brake lights, etc. The plastic area behind the bulb needs to be nice and clean and shiny to help reflect the light outward. My truck had moss growing in the taillights when I first bought it. Moss and dirt don't reflect. You can buy new parts, or clean and then spray paint them with a nice reflective silver paint. I've even seen posts where someone wrapped/coated the area with the shiny side of aluminum foil. I'm not crazy of that idea though. Good chance you might short something out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack541