Brighter aftermarket headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys. I have the dual headlights on my 82. I noticed the night i drove it home for the first time in years that the headlights suuuccckkk.. I guess i got used to the HID projectors in my Ram.

Do they make anything aftermarket that is any brighter? I bought a relay harness kit thinking that may help but i haven't installed it just yet.

I have been doing some looking and see that they make a High and low beam headlight with a replaceable H4 or 9007 bulb at around $40 a light. They have a clear lens with a chrome back housing. Have any of you guys had an experience with these headlights are anything similar?

Thanks

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
I have the dual headlights also on my suburban and let me tell you I was very skeptical on getting the headlights that lmc sells and I absolutely love them now. The "custom headlights" part number 36-0283 and 36-0284. I also got the heavy duty headlight harness they sell. The headlights it came with where reasonably bright I just bought the Silverstar Ultras made by silvania because I like the blue tint and they are brighter than the bulbs that come in the housings. I can't remember if the bulb is a 9007 or 9004 but they are by far one of the best upgrades I've done to my truck. After all the bulbs and headlight housings and harness it was around three hundred dollars. The bulbs I bought at Walmart(cheaper) but that was a hundred alone. You don't have to replace the bulbs I just like the blue tint in my opinion. The housings project further than stock so I like that. The housing is also metal and the lens is glass so it won't fade and yellow. I've had mine going on two years and they are just amazing.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I converted mine to h4's. If you do decide to change over, the harness with the relays is a must, your factory switch won't handle the higher voltage. I learned that the hard way. I gotta say that the h4's on low beam left a lot to be desired, the high beams on the other hand are quite impressive when on, about 3 times as bright as the sealed beams. I haven't changed out the bulbs for the silver stars yet, I still have the cheap bulbs that came with the lights, so I'm kinda thinking after I upgrade the bulbs, the low beams will get brighter. But I'm only going to upgrade the low beam(top 2 headlights). Make sure you aim them correctly also, you'll blind oncoming traffic if you don't, and that's not a good thing for anybody.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Even just the addition of the relays alone in the stock harness will make them much brighter. Very pleased with that simple mod.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I've got mine off eBay
They are the "Projector" type for the squares with the 4x6" lights
LEDs in them for just runners
I love them
You must be registered for see images attach

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Those blue headlights suck! Especially when you have to look at them on oncoming vehicles. On lifted trucks they are even worse as the lights are lifted too.
Bob

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My LEDs are white with my headlights
I don't like the blue either

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright I got bored tonight and installed the hd harness I bought. Now I'm pretty decent at wiring and figuring out the gremlins but something this simple has got me. When my high beams are on all 4 shine bright like they are supposed to. Well when I switch to low beam the top (low beam) work right but it seems the bottom light is getting backfeed voltage around 3 volts to be exact. Here is what I'm seeing with low beams on.

This is happening on both sides. I've tried grounding all the grounds straight to the battery. But nothing changed. I made sure the low beam and high beam terminals were matching up on the plugs and they were correct. I'm guessing it could be the relays but tbh I'm stumped. Any ideas

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Mine does it too

Where did you get your HD harness?

There must be something going on with the relays or maybe a wire is in the wrong spot on the relay. I just installed a similar harness from lmc on a buddies truck and it didn't have any issues. I have a whole week off next week so i'll have time to figure it out.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I don't have the harness
Even with the factory harness it still does it
I spent more than I wanted on the lights
The harness will be down the road lol
One problem that bugs the hell out of me is that my driverside low beam sometimes has a junk connection in the plug and goes just as dim as the high beans when they aren't on
So I wonder if there's a bit if voltage to the ground side causing them to stay lit

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
You have a ground wire in one or more lights, in the wrong slot in the connectors.

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't have the harness
Even with the factory harness it still does it
I spent more than I wanted on the lights
The harness will be down the road lol
One problem that bugs the hell out of me is that my driverside low beam sometimes has a junk connection in the plug and goes just as dim as the high beans when they aren't on
So I wonder if there's a bit if voltage to the ground side causing them to stay lit

I think I figured this out. Val is right.

The headlights you have, do they take the h4 bulbs?

This harness I have is for the h4 bulbs. I learned that these sealed beams are wired differently that the h4 bulb. The ground and low beam terminals are swapped. So silverscottsk10, if your headlights do take the h4's you need to swap the low beam and ground pin on the factory harness to eliminate the back feeding. I would need to do the same on the relay harness. I'm going to attempt this in the morning and will let you know.

Here is a pic I found that may explain it better.

Last edited:

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I think I figured this out. Val is right.

The headlights you have, do they take the h4 bulbs?

This harness I have is for the h4 bulbs. I learned that these sealed beams are wired differently that the h4 bulb. The ground and low beam terminals are swapped. So silverscottsk10, if your headlights do take the h4's you need to swap the low beam and ground pin on the factory harness to eliminate the back feeding. I would need to do the same on the relay harness. I'm going to attempt this in the morning and will let you know.

Here is a pic I found that may explain it better.

This pic is worth a 1,000 words!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size