Brake hard lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m rebuilding my brake lines in my truck. The rear 14ff has been converted to disc and initially, I rerouted the stock brake lines. I’m not going to use the pre bent factory style tubing on this go round so I can clean up the routing.

How critical is it to have the factory style lines with the spring like outer shield on it? Most of the stainless hardline I come across does not have the outer spiral shielding.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I don't think it's critical. I've never run across a source for it, so have never used it or worried about it not being there. Realistically, that outer spring just provides more area for stuff that causes corrosion to cling to.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I don't think it's critical. I've never run across a source for it, so have never used it or worried about it not being there. Realistically, that outer spring just provides more area for stuff that causes corrosion to cling to.
True

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, the wrap is just for abrasion resistance. Those of us in the rust belt have to do without that protective wrap all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl