Body swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turbomatt

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
For the knowledgeable masses: I have a 79 half ton suburban with a sm465 and 205 and an 87 one ton long bed with 383/ t400/208, a 6" lift shackle flip, crossover steering etc. I would like to drop the suburban body on the one ton chassis...or would it be easier to just transfer the one tons mods(suspension/engine incl FI , axles etc to tbe half ton suburban? I will be using tbe 465/205 behind tbe 383 regardless...just trying to feel out which would be less headaches. Much appreciated

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Swap the 1 ton stuff to the Burb. The frames are different. And welcome to the sight. We like pics.......a lot lol

turbomatt

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Appreciated.. question.. will the Dana 60 volt up to the 1/2 ton spring spacing? I understand they are a little different t...and the 14 bolt rear. I know I am going to have to buy new shacklesfor the rear.. the dropped ones are WELDED ON like for erernity.. am also tho ki g if I don't swap bodies I may be better to drop the cash on EZ-EFI instead of trying to swap harnesses also for the power gains over the cfi.. any other suggestions you can make would be helpful. I'll take pics!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The spring spacing on the dana 60 wil be the same as the half ton. The 14 bolt is where you'll need to change the spring perches.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm going to go the other way. It's always been a dream of mine to put a Burb on a true 1-ton frame. I know the frames are different at the rear, but it shouldn't be any trouble if you have any fabrication experience.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm going to go the other way. It's always been a dream of mine to put a Burb on a true 1-ton frame. I know the frames are different at the rear, but it shouldn't be any trouble if you have any fabrication experience.
I have the perfect candidate.. :D

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have the perfect candidate.. :D

Why yes, yes you do. Although I'll bet that frame as clean as a pin though, ain't it? In that case, I'd treat it to all new 4x4 parts from the likes of DIY4X and ORD. It's not like I've already thought of a plan or anything, lol.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And throw a C&C dually rear under the back end......I got one lol and a 1ton frame it's a R30 but if tmyour going that far might as well do a 4 link and dump the springs all together..........or have I gone to far? Lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, that's another dream of mine. A dually Burb, with or without fenders.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Why yes, yes you do. Although I'll bet that frame as clean as a pin though, ain't it? In that case, I'd treat it to all new 4x4 parts from the likes of DIY4X and ORD. It's not like I've already thought of a plan or anything, lol.
Yes, it is clean a as pin for sure, and you do have options, and it's got your name all over it, lol. :D

turbomatt

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Well then..... I can certainly fab tho I am lacking a mill/ lathe etc I can cut and weld and grind... the complications I can foresee might include the dual saddle tanks vs rear 35 gal. Its not gonna be a joy either way i suppose. My arb loaded axles done next week. The bulk of this project will likely wait until spring but I'd like to get the driveline together asap and was planning to swap the tight 383 into the old burb and get it FI with likely the ez EFI. That advantage if I keep the one ton intact minus it's front 60 it's sellable..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well then..... I can certainly fab tho I am lacking a mill/ lathe etc I can cut and weld and grind... the complications I can foresee might include the dual saddle tanks vs rear 35 gal. Its not gonna be a joy either way i suppose. My arb loaded axles done next week. The bulk of this project will likely wait until spring but I'd like to get the driveline together asap and was planning to swap the tight 383 into the old burb and get it FI with likely the ez EFI. That advantage if I keep the one ton intact minus it's front 60 it's sellable..
Sounds like a plan..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400