Body mount question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I am working on replacing my body mounts. I am looking at the original mounts and the new prothane mounts. It seems like the upper bushing’s OD is definitely smaller than the OEM. Is this typical or did I maybe get shipped a 1/2 or 3/4 ton bushing? Bottom half is the same size as OEM rubber, btw.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Anyone know? I’m getting ready to throw them on there.

Prothane’s tech support is a voicemail, lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They look right. Bushings are the same 1/2 ton through 1 ton.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Mine from energy suspension were slightly smaller as well

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have the new bushings in, but I’m waiting to torque them down until everything is mounted. Is anti-seize a good idea on the bolts? There was a yellow substance on the factory bolts.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That yellow stuff may be a mild threadlock. Unless it's an internal engine bolt, I still use anti-seize on every bolt I use.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That yellow stuff may be a mild threadlock. Unless it's an internal engine bolt, I still use anti-seize on every bolt I use.

Definitely going with anti seize before thread lock, lol. I’ll be pulling the body again in a couple years. I was lucky to have all mine come out. I was praying I wouldn’t have to cut any holes to get them off. Every turn of the ratchet, I was waiting for something to shear.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Been there, done that too many times!

Sheared a few myself, much to my dismay. Some of those '10 minute jobs' turned into 3 days.
Since I tend to keep my vehicles, and am always trying to 'improve' something it really pays to put anti-seize on them all for me.
Saves me and the neighbors from a lot of harsh language.

buildin64

Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Don't waste your time waiting on Prothane. I talked with them directly as when I received my bushings the instructions said to match up the new ones with your old ones. Lets get this straight...match up a 40+ year old rubber bushing that is collapsed, dry rotted and not a very good way to ensure you are putting the right parts in the right places. I threw them back into the box and bought the Energy Suspension where the instructions had the locations identified for which part numbers that matched the part number on the bushing itself. What a concept!?

buildin64

Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Sorry I was so re-frustrated when I was writing this I lost my train of thought on the above comment...when I talked with Prothane directly they told me they had no more information than what the original instructions had already told me. How can companies continue to sell products without proper instructions? Replacing the bushings is not something that you want to do a second time after you realize you put the wrong one in the wrong spot. Get the Energy Suspension poly versions and know you have positioned them correctly. My option anyways.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m waiting to reinstall my bed to make sure everything lines up right. If not, summit will take anything back.

Incriminator

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just replaced mine with Energy, they seemed smaller but fit well. Everything lined up as it was suppose to.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Mine were smaller and I got the OEM style replacements from LMC. Also I got replacement bolts for the radiator core support and the lock nuts on those things where so damn tight I finally just tossed them and went and got some regular nuts to tighten down. Not sure if it was the Nylock parts causing the issues or not but I just needed to put the front clip on so I could tow the truck without all kinds of trash going into the motor. I'm in the process of tearing it all back apart now so I can paint the engine bay, fenders, and drivetrain, so I will revisit the hardware when it comes time to put it all back together for the final time, but it was a PITA to get them seated on the radiator core until I put normal nuts on them. You probably wont run into that with body bolts though.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What has been your guys experience when going to poly body bushings? Did it make the ride drastically harsher? Or do things just seem to be more solid?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota