Blinker issues “SOLVED”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
So my front passenger blinker hasn’t been working well since I got the truck, a 87’ V20 custom deluxe 4 speed 4x4 350 motor. I went to replace the bulb and the socket was junk so I replaced it, still didn’t work, checked the side marker light and a rodent had chewed the wires so replaced the marker light, and checked the wires going to the other side, I searched here and seen grounding issues so I cleaned bolth grounds ether side of the radiator, even checked the fuses and then swapped the blinker and hazard relay circle thingy and no working blinker, or hazard light on the front passenger side. What should I do next????

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
follow the wires from the bulb all the way to the start see if the fuse is getting power or if it is not burnt then go down the line till you hit the bulb with power. it may be an as easy as a fuse or you got a bad relay

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
There is only one fuse that I see, the rear blinker works and the driver side works, the light on the dash dose not work for the right side, and I can hear the relay clicking. I have followed the wires to the driver side but not to the fire wall yet. I did replace the dash lights a while back, but the rear right blinker has always worked, but the dash light just stoped recently as well

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'd track the wires from the light back. Take the tape off the ends of the convolute tubing all the way. Easy to replace using electrical tape.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
So far I found one of those blue pinch together 1-2 wire splices on a brown wire near the cab, I was following a brown wire so I’m going to cut that out and use a crimp connector and heat shrink it, and see if that works. It was spliced to a black wire that goes to the fire wall as well

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
I realize that the blue is the hot line, and probed it all the way into the cab as far as I could without taking the dash apart, and still no power to it. I’m starting to think that maybe I have a bad blinker switch and that I will have to pull the steering column apart

436'd skylark

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
Durajunk
unplug the bulkhead connecter at the firewall. Test for continuity on that circuit between the socket and connecter.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
So I found I had a bad crimp connector to the new light socket and now my front right running light works but the blinker still don’t, I ran a jumper to dark blue wire at the bulkhead connector at the fire wall and my light came on, so my harness in the engin bay is good, I do hear my blinker relay clicking and I have checked fuse and it is good, my dash marker light dose not come on. Unless I turn the headlights on then it comes on dimly.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I ran a jumper to dark blue wire at the bulkhead connector at the fire wall and my light came on, so my harness in the engin bay is good

???
From where?

Chip away at the stone.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
Jumped from the battery to check my harness, working on pulling the dash apart tocsee what I find? The thing that is driving me crazy about it is that the rear blinker works just the front right blinker don’t, along with the dash indicator light

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
Well I’m going to pull the steering column apart tomorrow and see if the switch is bad I used a light probe on the dark blue wire at the harness coming through the bottom of the column, if I was correct I should of had power there, but didn’t

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
As far as I know the only thing on the blinker system is the, bulbs, sockets, wires, 1 relay, 1 fuse, and the switch. The only thing original is the wires, and the blinker switch. Am I missing something in the blinker system??? If so I have no idea what it is

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
GM did a cool but odd thing with the front turn signal bulbs on these trucks...
With the parking lights off, the side marker and turn signal flash together. With the parking lights on they alternate.
GM did this by routing the ground wire from the bayonet base side marker light to the front turn signal feed.

Is there an issue with the side marker bulb on the dead turnsignal side?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128