BF Goodrich KM3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I was excited for these tires to come out- they came out a few days ago. I will be wanting some 315/75R16s once I get my new lift completed.

Now that there is some info on them, I'm kinda disappointed.

-Doesn't look like they are available in raised white lettering (not a deal breaker, and a subject to debate of letters out or letters in...)

-Only being released in load range E! I already have load range E tires on my truck now (285/75R16) and when airing down to even as low as 12 psi the sidewalls are still pretty stiff/don't get the floatation. I was wanting a load range D.

-Tires are heavier for the same size. Looks like they put extra material on the sidewall and took some off of the tread.

Here are the tire specs:

Old KM2 tire, 315/75R16

Max load: 3,195 lbs
Max inflation: 50 psi
Tread depth: 20/32"
Tire weight: 64 lbs
overall diameter: 34.8"

New KM3 tire, 315/75R16

Max load: 3,860 lbs
Max inflation: 75 psi
Tread depth: 18/32"
Tire weight: 73.17 lbs
overall diameter: 34.6"

Other KM3 specs:

-KM3 has 5 percent better mud traction than its predecessor
-KM3 delivers 8 percent better rock traction
-Its sidewalls are 27 percent tougher
-tire’s Linear Flex Zone allows it to envelop objects at reduced inflation for even more grip

I don't have the money to run right out and buy them today, so will keep reading on them and see what people think.

I don't like the idea of tires being heavier. But how much of a big deal is that anyway?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think unsprung weight is more critical for higher speed/on road stuff. It will increase MOI through rotational mass, which would effect acceleration, braking and efficiency. Your not daily driving this thing, right? So most of that doesn’t matter really. You might want to just get a dedicated wheeling tire.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It doesn't sound like the new tire is the one for you. Bummer !!!

I guess I've finally made up my mind on tire size. I wanted to go with 35's or close which is what you've chosen. I just don't care for that width so I'm going with a 285 75/16 said to be almost 33 and only 11.2in wide. If I had my way, I'd have a 35in tall and 10.5 wide.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Nope- not my daily driver anymore. It is turning into a dedicated off road rig. I do drive it to work on occasion, and use it to pull my small-ish 5th wheel back to some camp spots that are on road rougher than I'd like to take my Silverado.

For winter time I'm keeping my BFG all terrain tires (on their own dedicated wheels) in a 285 size. Last winter we had some pretty bad storms and since I work nights I leave work before they plow the roads. My truck is my "daily driver" I suppose then.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just curious, are you really concerned about rock crawling? You do rock crawling with your truck?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Not true rock crawling (Moab)... but there are a lot of rocks around here. Granite and shale rocks are common.
A few of the trails cross a rock slide area so you have to go across an area with rocks the typical size of large watermelons.

Guess the only type of terrain I don't have around here is sand.

This is one spot my old KM2s gave me issues. Climbing up out of there. Tires were wet, rocks are slick. It is a series of "stair steps" that are 12'-20" in height.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not true rock crawling (Moab)... but there are a lot of rocks around here. Granite and shale rocks are common.
A few of the trails cross a rock slide area so you have to go across an area with rocks the typical size of large watermelons.

Guess the only type of terrain I don't have around here is sand.

This is one spot my old KM2s gave me issues. Climbing up out of there. Tires were wet, rocks are slick. It is a series of "stair steps" that are 12'-20" in height.

Great Answer !!! Love answers with pics instead of words. Damn, I still like that soft cover. If I was rich....

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've always noticed I never take pics of the real rough areas of the road. Often is just isn't a good area to get out to take pics of the rig. On my wish list is a go-pro camera. Just stick it to the truck somewhere and go for it.

The Magruder Corridor road is something on my list again this summer. My brother in law wants to go this year also. Can't find a good pic of the road, but this is one of the scenic areas along it. Burnt Knob lookout. You can tell by the terrain it is steeep and rocky.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd love to see some of those videos buddy. You can start out cheap. You don't have to go with a $300 Go Pro Hero Kit. You can't lose much going with something like this for $40. Ordered via Walmart, shipped and sold by someone else.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ACTIVEON...66001f5-ef7b1f76-1bb0943c7f394123&athena=true

Then go with a cheap mount kit that includes, helmet straps, wrist and handlebar straps, selfie stick, suction glass mount, underwater carry handle and all kinds of different attachments. Here's a 51pc mount kit that works with Go Pro and Activon Cameras for $20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tagital-...66001f5-2a5c3571-e76291a8e468bfb8&athena=true

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's a sample video of that cheap Activon camera. It has all the same mount fittings as Go Pro, and all Go Pro attachments fit it too.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
That is a pretty decent camera. Especially for my first one I think that would do nicely... thanks for posting that.

As far as a soft cover for a truck- they show up from time to time on craigslist. I saw one a month ago up here and the ad is still up:

https://kalispell.craigslist.org/pts/d/canvas-topper-for-full-size-pu/6586072602.html

This is a different company than mine. It has side windows- which is nice for visibility but some say they then get scratched rubbing against tree branches or if you fold the top down a lot.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That is a pretty decent camera. Especially for my first one I think that would do nicely... thanks for posting that.

As far as a soft cover for a truck- they show up from time to time on craigslist. I saw one a month ago up here and the ad is still up:

https://kalispell.craigslist.org/pts/d/canvas-topper-for-full-size-pu/6586072602.html

This is a different company than mine. It has side windows- which is nice for visibility but some say they then get scratched rubbing against tree branches or if you fold the top down a lot.

yeah, it's not a bad camera especially the money. It's affordable and a great starter. In the event it gets run over and broke while wheeling, you're not out a **** ton of cash either. I need to get back in the car, but I was using one for a drive cam for awhile.

That is a great top, if I had the spare cash, I'd ask for a shipping quote. I too would leary of the windows. I have a feelign with age, they'd yellow real bad. I do like yours better for certain.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
If you are in the rocks and shale like you say ,I would want the extra load range for the added protection. Doesn't seem like a bad deal (E over D)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you are in the rocks and shale like you say ,I would want the extra load range for the added protection. Doesn't seem like a bad deal (E over D)
You may be misunderstanding. Load Range IS NOT the real issue. Higher the load range, tougher the sidewall. Tougher the sidewall, the less flex and squish there is to a tire. Without that, the tire is NOT going to grip the rocks for traction.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You may be misunderstanding. Load Range IS NOT the real issue. Higher the load range, tougher the sidewall. Tougher the sidewall, the less flex and squish there is to a tire. Without that, the tire is NOT going to grip the rocks for traction.

yep, that was what I was thinking. And I've started playing out in the snow again with a group of guys, so I'm wanting to run this bigger 315 in the deep snow aired down for flotation. With my 285/75 KO2 all terrains I got stuck 3 times. I was the heaviest of the group also.

There was a mix of all terrains and mud terrains on that trip. Mud terrains did the best. We had mud, wet heavy snow, then the nasty dry ice-granule snow, then just regular powder snow.

218522[/ATTACH]']

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8