Belltech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So my new project had chopped stock springs up front and was riding rough.

Has the perfect drop but for the sake of the ride I have decided to buy

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A6124A0A0.aspx

and new shocks

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A6132A0A0.aspx

this is my first time doing any suspension work ever. I have read a bit but want to ensure that I should be good to go with this combo. Is there anything else I might need/want to change out while I'm working on the front suspension? The rear was done correctly with a flip kit and everything which was surprising. Considering how bad of a hack job was done to the front.

Thank you

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
I don't want to start a snowball for you, but depending on time and resources I'd say look into drop spindles. Actual drop coils like those will definitely be an upgrade over the hacked ones in there, but IMO if you want to do things right then spindles are the way to go.

How far do you wanna drop them? I have a set of 3" drop spindles I took off my 85 c1500, had heavy duty brakes so make sure you can utilize those if you want 'em(i'm pretty sure the taper is different on the spindle from HD to standard duty brakes).

Here's where the snowball begins... If you've got time and patience and actually want to do spindles, why not do all the bushings while you're in there? ALL the bushings. Order up some energy suspension if you wanna go aftermarket or just get gem - I've done it on a couple trucks and depending on the condition of the existing bushings, it can make a drastic improvement.

I'd also look at the upper control arms to see if they have been shimmed specifically for a lowering coil (i doubt it if the coils were cut), and if that's the case you'll have to do some alignment/geometry to get the thing riding/steering properly. You can take it to an alignment shop too and they should be able to deal with it. I'd say do this regardless of going coils or spindles.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
ALL the bushings. Order up some energy suspension if you wanna go aftermarket or just get gem - I've done it on a couple trucks and depending on the condition of the existing bushings, it can make a drastic improvement.

Agreed. I would also confirm upped and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, bearings, and seals. Your already there and to me it's just always nice to know that everything is nice, tight, and safe.

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Agreed. I would also confirm upped and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, bearings, and seals. Your already there and to me it's just always nice to know that everything is nice, tight, and safe.

+1
Rent a ball joint press from Autozone it'll get the bushing sleeves out too. I did all moog on rods ends and I think ball joints too and it's been flawless for 2000 miles so far. Do it all especially if the current state of things is questionable.

Shouldn't need a spring compressor since it ought to have u-bolts that hold on the lowers.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I will normally put a chain thru the spring before I try to lower the control arm to remove it. If yours are cut you probably don't have much tension on them but better to be safe than sorry.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
X3 on spindles, but depending on what wheel diameter you plan on using...2-1/2" drop spindles are the max you can use with 15 " oem rally wheels and still have clearance between the inner wheel lip and the lower control arm. I also agree that replacing all the balljoints, greasing the wheel bearings and even upgrading the rubber control arm bushings with polyurethane units will definately improve the ride and help maintain the alignment. Oh yeah...and get the front end alignment done afterwards.

rear flip kit...but the front springs were cut....yeah thats a shame .

Last edited:

Toshiba86

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank yall for the helpfulness and advice. I will definitely make sure I do everything the right way.

Also, I know some say chopped springs aren't that bad so I am sure some are rolling their eyes right about now. But, it is what it is and I want a smooth ride and hopefully I can achieve that!

Going to be a long road but definitely worth it. Always wanted a C-10 and now that I have one I can't wait to fix her up. Just got to do some reading up and ask for advice when I can.

Again, thank you all and I will post pics once I am back from my TDY in Korea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84