Beech C23

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
For real. I guess it's hard to innovate what's worked and been so safe for so long. If people start putting motors like SBCs and LSs that can't realistically reach the TBOs that these flat engines can, then that's a problem.

I ran across a few you tube vids recently with people running ls engines in small aircraft. The whole idea seems sketchy to me.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I ran across a few you tube vids recently with people running ls engines in small aircraft. The whole idea seems sketchy to me.

Same and same. Very sketchy, at least to me. Airplane motors are designed to run at consistent, high RPMs, not to mention quickly revving up to those RPMs, for a TBO of say 1800 (give or take) hours, and they have redundancies to prevent something that would cause a breakdown on the road to not be a big deal in the air. Not to mention most of the traditional GA engine designs are air cooled so you don't have to worry about cooling problems because you puked coolant, your thermostat stayed closed, or something got clogged. I'm no authority, but they don't seem like a good idea.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Stupid is as stupid does........if some rich trouser stain wants to splatter himself on the ground because his LS oil pump pick up dislodged and seized his engine at 5000 feet so be it hopefully he carries the rest of his gene pool with so it can no longer infect society.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Well anyway, yeah...
Don't get me wrong I love aviation and thanks for the excellent thread but it was making me sick. Like this...
if my truck or whatever I'm driving ON THE GROUND is giving me any grief I could just puke from stress...
but imagining "yeah it misses just got keep 'er pinned and lean it out" whatever in the air... oh where's my bucket..?

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Thankfully airplanes turn into gliders when the engine quits. Some better than others and the plan is always to just land but sometimes it’s just a quiet trip to the scene of the crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
It’s been a little slow going but I’ve made some progress on my rig.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size

Oil return lines, primer lines and intake runners are on.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Oil return lines, primer lines and intake runners are on.

Is that your plane or a customers? If it’s yours look up Lancaster airport. Then fly east there’s plenty of people here to torment. Lol

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Is that your plane or a customers? If it’s yours look up Lancaster airport. Then fly east there’s plenty of people here to torment. Lol
It’s mine. I do need to take some longer trips with it. The longest was down to Frankfort Kentucky a couple times to tour bourbon distilleries.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It’s mine. I do need to take some longer trips with it. The longest was down to Frankfort Kentucky a couple times to tour bourbon distilleries.

Cool. We’ll Lancaster airport is a small airport like 15-20 minutes from me. Actually that’s awsome it’s yours.:waytogo:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Piece of cake. 451 miles if I were to fly over Canada.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Thankfully airplanes turn into gliders when the engine quits. Some better than others and the plan is always to just land but sometimes it’s just a quiet trip to the scene of the crash.

Reminds me of a clip by a comedian I heard years ago. He was talking about being on a sketchy twin engine plane when one engine fails. The person next to him asked him how far the remaining engine would get them. He said it will take us right to the scene of the crash.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Reminds me of a clip by a comedian I heard years ago. He was talking about being on a sketchy twin engine plane when one engine fails. The person next to him asked him how far the remaining engine would get them. He said it will take us right to the scene of the crash.
That would have been Ron White, lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
My grandpa had a Cessna and would take us up from time to time. He always did stuff to try and make me sick. Little did he know, I actually enjoyed flying. Some good memories.

An old supervisor I had back in the 90's was a pilot and we flew a couple times to different County airports that we had a meeting at, or was faster to fly to due to terrain. We were flying over the Owens River and I asked him how his Piper would glide if the engine failed. He said it glides like a rock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey