Beech C23

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It’s definitely some ****** 1930’s engineering.

I saw in one of your posts you were/are and Audi mechanic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For real. I guess it's hard to innovate what's worked and been so safe for so long. If people start putting motors like SBCs and LSs that can't realistically reach the TBOs that these flat engines can, then that's a problem.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I was a water cooled VW guy in the 80’s and this is a whole new deal. If I’m going to spend close to 100k on a car I don’t want to have to spend thousands of dollars at 30,000 miles to replace the timing chain and tensioners.

We had a chat about the gummed up exhaust valves that Audi decided to just give the dealerships power washers with special wands to clean them. Oil changes are NOT authorized after blowing water through the cylinders. Dumb.

I just don’t see them as being overly reliable, especially for the money.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
For real. I guess it's hard to innovate what's worked and been so safe for so long. If people start putting motors like SBCs and LSs that can't realistically reach the TBOs that these flat engines can, then that's a problem.

They have a couple experimentals that use Subaru and VW engines too.

I’m really looking forward to the “diesel” engines. Jet-A is the way to go and since they’re just now engineering the new motors, systems and controls, they can engineer some better stuff. The old mechanical fuel injection is a pain in the ass to hot start and the carbs are not much better. Diesel has better economy too. It would just be nice to see some new technology.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I know Diamond has that diesel twin, but that's the only one I know of.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I was a water cooled VW guy in the 80’s and this is a whole new deal. If I’m going to spend close to 100k on a car I don’t want to have to spend thousands of dollars at 30,000 miles to replace the timing chain and tensioners.

We had a chat about the gummed up exhaust valves that Audi decided to just give the dealerships power washers with special wands to clean them. Oil changes are NOT authorized after blowing water through the cylinders. Dumb.

I just don’t see them as being overly reliable, especially for the money.

I left when the 2.0T came out total over complicated piece of **** that is a maintenance nightmare. The 1.8T was the last good engine they built.....and the V10TDI lol

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Cessna is making 172’s or 182’s, I can’t remember. Now that Continental and Lycoming are on board we should see some STC’s to replace old engines.

I despise the guys who use mogas in certified aircraft to save a couple dollars. If you can’t afford 100LL don’t fly. It’s really bad for for everything. There was a guy with a Pathfinder who melted his plastic wheel pants with his leaky sumps and he still insisted mogas was the way to go. We won’t work on those planes now even if they have an STC to burn auto gas.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I left when the 2.0T came out total over complicated piece of **** that is a maintenance nightmare. The 1.8T was the last good engine they built.....and the V10TDI lol

I concur. I bought my daughters a Passat VR6 when they got their liscenses (they’re twins) and it wasn’t a bad motor. ****** transmission though!

I want to say the 3.2 v6 would eat timing chain tensioners and wreck the valves when it jumped time. If I remember correctly they needed the timing chain service at 60,000 miles. The V8 was similar. It made for a sweet engine in the S4 when it worked right though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I concur. I bought my daughters a Passat VR6 when they got their liscenses (they’re twins) and it wasn’t a bad motor. ****** transmission though!

I want to say the 3.2 v6 would eat timing chain tensioners and wreck the valves when it jumped time. If I remember correctly they needed the timing chain service at 60,000 miles. The V8 was similar. It made for a sweet engine in the S4 when it worked right though.

I have built quite a few VR6s I myself have never owned one I hate them lol I had Diesels or 1.8T and 12:1 compression stroked 8valves. I’m putting a 96vr in a 92 Cabby for a friend lol for his wife. The 24v and R32 engines you can keep them too crap!!! The 4.2 is a good engine as is the W12 just very busy lol. The 1500HP W16 is just a work of art IMO

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I think I’d buy another 81 Scirocco S if I found a good one.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I think I’d buy another 81 Scirocco S if I found a good one.

Good luck I had a 79 with a 2.0 with 12:1 with dual DCOEs on alcohol it was fun :D alot

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Good luck I had a 79 with a 2.0 with 12:1 with dual DCOEs on alcohol it was fun :D alot

I got mine in high school when it was about 4 years old. Someone hit the front fender in the college parking lot so I bought a body kit for it and had it repainted. It was Mars Red with black interior.

Sometime not too long after that I met a guy who rally raced for VW. He lived north of me about an hour and he had a shop. I bought a wrecked 85 GTI and had everything swapped out. Engine, trans, fuel injection, front suspension, rear discs, etc. throw some Nuespeed stuff on it and it was good to go. It was as fast as the late 80’s mustang GT’s.

My buddy with his 84 scirocco got tired of losing the races so he found a roots type supercharger. He was just barely faster at that point so I bought a turbo. I never did install it though. I was on to other things by then. We did do a lot of SCCA autocross events. Good fun.

I bet your’s was smoking fast! It had to have been fun. What great driving cars.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I’d post a picture of my car but I think the only one that I had had the love of my life in it. I’m sure my wife hid it or burned it or something.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I got mine in high school when it was about 4 years old. Someone hit the front fender in the college parking lot so I bought a body kit for it and had it repainted. It was Mars Red with black interior.

Sometime not too long after that I met a guy who rally raced for VW. He lived north of me about an hour and he had a shop. I bought a wrecked 85 GTI and had everything swapped out. Engine, trans, fuel injection, front suspension, rear discs, etc. throw some Nuespeed stuff on it and it was good to go. It was as fast as the late 80’s mustang GT’s.

My buddy with his 84 scirocco got tired of losing the races so he found a roots type supercharger. He was just barely faster at that point so I bought a turbo. I never did install it though. I was on to other things by then. We did do a lot of SCCA autocross events. Good fun.

I bet your’s was smoking fast! It had to have been fun. What great driving cars.

I had a Mars red 84 GLI it was peppy with the 9A gearbox but that’s all lol 98 whopping HP lol a had a 30k mile 16v Scirocco also I started with aircooled VWs tho Type 3s were my favorites

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I’ve had a couple different GTi’s but just bought them, fixed them and sold them. I probably have fonder memories of that junk than I should have but I never broke down with any of the VW’s. I was never too much into the air cooled stuff.
I appreciate what can be done with them but never got into them. Except my cousin’s 67 beetle. But I was drinking a lot then.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Cessna is making 172’s or 182’s, I can’t remember. Now that Continental and Lycoming are on board we should see some STC’s to replace old engines.

I despise the guys who use mogas in certified aircraft to save a couple dollars. If you can’t afford 100LL don’t fly. It’s really bad for for everything. There was a guy with a Pathfinder who melted his plastic wheel pants with his leaky sumps and he still insisted mogas was the way to go. We won’t work on those planes now even if they have an STC to burn auto gas.

Oh yeah, I've seen the ads for those somewhere in Controller or TAP. And yeah, I would imagine. My dad would always look for 180s instead of 185s in the paper so he could run car gas in them because he would always say that Jet A/Diesel was the future for most planes, and 100LL would go the way of the Dodo as domestic demand diminished. This was about 10 years ago when gas prices shot up. I'm not sure he quite understood the toxic qualities of E10 gas. The last carbureted plane he had was a 170 in the 1960s, and mogas was a totally different animal back then. Plus, I think he only bought one gasoline vehicle in the last 25 years, and fuel's changed a good bit since then, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg