Basic volt drop test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Have you disconnected the alternator wires? Is there anything besides the starter lead and the alternator connected to positive battery terminal.

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you disconnected the alternator wires? Is there anything besides the starter lead and the alternator connected to positive battery terminal.
The engine is out so those are safely dangling so there shouldn't be when I disconnect that circuit breaker. That's just got me all kinds of frazzled.

New little issue that I'm pretty sure wasn't that way before: now my "IGN" terminal on the fuse block is powered all the time. New ignition switch not adjusted quite right?

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pretty sure I found my draw because I get a tiny spark when I put the fuse for the headlight relays back in. I have no idea how though. With the fuse out, I don't get a little spark putting the cable back on the negative post but I do with the fuse installed.

This stuff frustrates me to the point that I need to find someone who knows what the hell they're doing. All I end up doing is wasting the only day off I've taken in months getting frustrated.

Ok, rant over, lol

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That little rant must've knocked something loose because I found it. One of the wires on that junction block on the firewall fed the "IGN" terminal on the fuse box constant voltage. Once I found and pulled it off the block, that circuit functioned like it should. I don't know, maybe some previous owner stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1