barn door conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fat 454

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
So I have a '76 sub with a factory tailgate, that I want to convert to barn doors. I have been researching this on the net for ages and collected all kinds of pics and articles. A couple of U toob vids show folks cutting and welding the captive nut plates into the C pillars and all kinds of mods to make it work, however both my '76 and my '73 subs already have the holes, plates and hinge slots from the factory. Were the earlier subs different to the later ones ? I still need to change the sill panel, but it looks like the doors will bolt straight in - has anyone done this without cutting ?? - maybe a ******* question, but I can't find this covered anywhere else - thanks ..... ....
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That is correct for earlier ones. Later in production it changed

Fat 454

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
OK - cool - guess I can just buy the tailpan then and catches and swap over to doors. Just need to find doors now !!...

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Good luck, but I wish I had the tailgate...

:disgust:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Good luck, but I wish I had the tailgate...

:disgust:

Me too. I was going to ask what the plans were for the old tailgate, but then I noticed shipping may be an issue :rofl:

I don't remember what year the hinge provisions were removed from the tailgate models, somewhere around '83 I think.

Fat 454

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
would be interesting to know what year they changed.

Yeh - decent parts are hard ( ie. almost impossible ) to find over here. Last tailgate I found I pulled from Sun Valley Auto parts in L.A. when I was over visiting family. Think I paid $20 for a rust free one, and took it back on the plane...May have to come back for the doors !!

Fat 454

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Here's the old girl in all her glory. Fixing it up with my older boy. Actually a lot better than it looks, floor, sills and scuttle all rust free. Just some in the roof on one side, and all the doors ( ? ! ). Maybe a bad day for steel on the line that day ...

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don