Bagging the square....FINALLY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks...I probably spent more time researching this project more than any other I have done so far. Seems like no matter what, you have to get creative sometimes. The guys I bought the parts from have given me a lot of insight and "tricks". I hope to have this wrapped up by Friday and ready for a test drive. I still need to go to my metal supplier once the four link is installed with a materials list in order to fabricate the bridge and bag mounts.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Research is good better do it right the first time then have to cut stuff apart. Suspension geometry can be tricky and can turn a good thing into a pile of **** if not done right. Don't rush it. Looks like your well on your way to a smoot riding truck no pun intended.lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lookin real good.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Coffe is brewing...almost ready to start cutting, grinding and welding. Its a good thing my neighbors have already left for work.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Glad I don't have to worry about neighbors anymore, lol..

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Progress today....all the four links are final welded into place. I also modified the brackets for the panhard bar and mounted it as well. Clearances were checked as well as articulation of the setup. So far so good, no binding or travel limitations. At full dump, I should have 3/8" of driveline clearance with the underside of the cab, all brake lines have ample room during suspension movement. The next step for tomorrow is to go to my metal supplier and pickup some steel stock to fabricate the bridge so that I can mount the rear bags finally. I also saw that at full dump, the tires have 3/8" before touching the under side of the rear tubs. Everything looks to be working as planned so far. I will post updated pics once the bridge is fabbed.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Where are you putting your bags? On or behind the rear?

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Bags will be mounted on top of the axle between the existing mini notch and the differential. I will be fabbing a new taller bridge notch tomorrow morning. I will mount the upper and lower bag mounts and plumb the rear air lines to double check the clearances. At full dump I should have 3/8" clearance between the top of the rear tires and the fenderwells.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Finally done after a long 10 hour day of welding, cutting, and of course tearing the old parts off.

I still have to final weld and clean up a few minor items (re route the tail light wiring lines down the frame and over the new bridge). I also need to clamp down the rear air lines along the frame. I cycled the rear suspension and so far so good. The accuair tank releases the front air slower than the rear so it drops at the same speed. I think thats pretty cool. I still need to fine tune it a bit more though. The maiden drive voyage may be tomorrow or possibly Saturday once I final weld and do some paint to cover the bare metal areas.

At full dump the rear license plate is 7 inches above the pavement (its mounted on a steel roll pan). My backup camer which is mounted just below the plate may have to be moved.

I will post up some pics and possibly a short video clip if I can figure that out.

I also need to trim some of the bottom cup off of the front airbag so that the front will sit 2 inches lower and be even with the back when dumped.

Now comes the clean out...I have a rear flip kit, u bolts, saddle and plate and of couse the hardware. I also have the rear leaf hangers too and the drop coils if anyone is interested. Shoot me a pm and we can negotiate a price shipped.

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Some more progress pics.

2x4.....3/16" wall steel. The cross braces are 2"...3/16" wall as well.

2600lb air bags front and rear

3/8" air line front and back

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Full dump in the rear. Tire is sitting on inner fenderwell.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Removed the old c notch, and replaced it with the new bridge.....it was a pita to remove. The p.o. tack welded it to the frame on the inside corner AND bolted it into place. The drivers side has a cracked weld and it was put in crroked, so the frame was out of level. Now that the new bridge is in and the inner frame has been blocked and plated, it won't go anywhere. The frame is now straight.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI