Back up light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blondie

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
My back up lights were staying on all the time. I replaced the switch on the steering column. Now only one backup light comes When the vehicle is put in reverse. Any suggestions. I tried adjusting the new switch with no luck.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I'd throw the truck in reverse and verify you have voltage at the reverse light with a voltmeter.

If you have voltage, then check the ground. If ground is good, then its the bulb.

If you don't have power, then check it coming out of the reverse switch.

If power out of the switch, then you have a break at a connection or wire somewhere between the switch and the reverse light.

If no power out of the switch, then the switch is faulty and may either somehow need adjustment or replacing.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I have a question. Do those switches wear out over time without going out completely? On my Jimmy and Caprice, you have to put the lever in just the right position or the lights won't come on. Or is it adjustable?

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Yes, on the automatic it's somewhat adjustable...I believe it's part of the neutral safety switch. But it may be just the spring/wire for shift selection slightly off.

Oh, and they could wear out partially & not completely break. To answer the 1st parr. It's the contacts within the switch. .. they tend to corrode or sometimes dust could accumulate. You could pull it off to clean it up... BUT if you've never done one before, it can be a pain to do. It's at the base of the column & needs to be aligned for trans,ECM, & starter reasons. It can throw a code if not aligned right. I believe it's #21

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Check for a bad ground. Mine was loose causing almost the same issues as yours

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a question. Do those switches wear out over time without going out completely? On my Jimmy and Caprice, you have to put the lever in just the right position or the lights won't come on. Or is it adjustable?

Also if you have any grommets to the shift linkage or the shift linkage itself is wore, then it can put the gear selector in the wrong position to hit the switch even if it is in the correct position.

blondie

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Thank you guys for the replies. I will give your suggestions a try and let you know what happens.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

At one point a few years ago I was having the same trouble keeping the back-up lights on as you. Most of the time it wasn't really an issue.

But it does become an issue when - in order to keep the back-up lights illuminated - you have to keep upward pressure on the shift lever with your right hand while trying to back down a steep dark driveway in the middle of the woods with just your left hand.

Just so happens that I have a steep dark driveway in the middle of the woods. So one day I decided to at least look at the switch. Often that's as far as I get.

This time however, I fixed it. Took about 2 minutes and zero dollars.

While I was poking at one side of the switch with my finger, the entire assembly made a ratcheting sound and rotated around the steering column. Seems that the plastic housing (which sets the open/close point for the contacts within) is infinitely adjustable.

It might take a few minutes to dial it in, but it is time well spent. Basically, the procedure goes like this: put your gear shift in R and then (with the key on) have someone watch the back-up lights. Push the switch one way or the other - I forget - until the back-ups come on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat