B&S Mower Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Okay, so this is my 30 year old Briggs and Stratton push mower from Walmart. It's the only thing at the house that'll cut grass at the moment. Not my brother's Cub Cadet lawn tractor and not my mom's Snapper weedwacker. Basically, what's happening now, and what it's been doing for a long time is randomly dying every few minutes. It'll usually restart immediately with one pull and no more than three. It'll bog down a little and sometimes recover, but it'll usually kinda rev down and die. Sometimes it'll quit from full throttle instantly, but that's rare. Everything seems to be in working order. The carb's been rebuilt, fuel line's new, gas is fresh, throttle cable is new, blade's sharp, and spark plug is new. The only thing I can think of that isn't new or in working order is the ignition coil, which is kinda what I'm thinking. I'm almost certain that's the one that it came with, and let me tell you, that mower has some miles on it. When it runs, it runs strong, and when you go to restart, it's strong again. It cuts well, too. Look behind the picture I just took in my dog's yard. Let me know what you guys think.
You must be registered for see images attach

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Try resetting the airgap of the coil to the magneto. 2 or 3 $1 bills can be used to set the gap. Just slide a couple bucks between the coil and magneto, loosen the coil mount bolts, turn the magneto and the coil should pop over and stick to the magneto's magnets with the bills sandwiched in between. Tighten the coil bolts and pull your cash out while turning the magneto. Check it and it it still isn't working right try folding 2 bills to make 4 layers and try again.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Okay, I'll surely give that a try. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128