Auto to manual tranny swap 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sht2kll

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008
Engine Size
Howdy all. I need a little help. I have been doing searches, but I don't think that I am wording things correctly. I have an 83 K20 with 6.2, TH400. I would like to convert it to a manual. I have been trying to find info about pedal assemblies and brackets. From my searches, I found that the pedal assemblies for the vacuum assist and the hydro boost are different.? I have been through my local junk yards but have not found a hydro boost pedal assemblies or trucks with diesels. How much different are the assemblies? Is the bracket in the engine compartment totally different also? Is a vacuum boost assy able to be converted without re engineering the whole thing? Since I have never seen one, I would not even be able to identify it if it were still in the truck.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Your bio lists an M1008. that should already have the hydro boost system. You want that system for the diesel. A diesel engine doesn't normally create vacuum due to the way it operates. that's why they run a vacuum motor off of the rear of the engine, where a gasser would mount the distributor. As far as the pedal assembly goes, they changed the location of the pin that the pushrod mounts to by roughly 5/8 of an inch iirc. That is the only difference. A lot of the people that convert from one brake system to the other don't seem to worry about it. At least no one has said they couldn't get one to work yet. If you do wish to locate a hydro boost pedal assembly, look for the heavier truck, i.e., cab and chassis trucks or commercial variants in the salvage yards. The civilian 6.2 trucks that came with a stick would also be a source, but those seem to be as rare as hens teeth these days. I'm actually getting ready to send my M1008 to paint, and install a manual trans when it gets back. For what it's worth, I sourced my pedal assembly from a 1988 1ton cab and chassis truck. I also grabbed the master/slave cylinder assemblies, and the bell housing.

Last edited:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
You could also just buy whatever manual pedal assembly you find. Make measurements of the pad (where you put your foot) without the rubber on the brake pedal and modify your existing brake pedal to those dimensions so you dont have to mess with the pin. Where the pedal mounts in the bracket is the same on all of them. As for where it bolts in the engine compartment I believe that is all the same as well.

CookieSoup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
i just did this last week.

th400 6.2 detroit truck with hydro boost

i just cut the brake foot pad off the manual pedals and welded it on the auto pedal. the pivot of the pedal is the same