Auto to manual clutch how difficult?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareDean

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5,v30,c20
Engine Size
I am changing out an automatic in a 84 suburban originally diesel will be a 355 with sm465 hydro assist brakes
The only pedal assembly I can find is a manual clutch from a 79 one ton how hard is it to set up manual clutch it looks like the mounting hole for the z bar is already in frame

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's not all that difficult. Just time consuming. I myself prefer a Z bar linkage clutch since back in my hay days, I raced muncie 4 speeds and I could shift fast enough I'd get float in an hydro clutch, meaning I was working my foot faster than the hydro could move fluid and I even knocked the piston out of the slave cylinder a time or 2. However, that's very extreme and rare. If it's a 4x4, and this was brought to my attention here, with frame flex and such, since the Z bar is attached to the frame to the engine, and the linkage rod from the cab to the Z bar, it is best for a 4x4 to be hydro because the line to the slave can be made as flexibe as ever and you'd consistantly have the same clutch pedal feel and no linkage binding or different pedal position for release etc.

The actual pivot is not on the frame right? you're referring to the 2 holes punched in the frame to bolt down the bracket for the Z bar pivot right?

I'm not sure if you have the firewall marked for you rod hole or not either.

CookieSoup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
been pretty easy so far for me. the hardest part is tracking all the parts down. i got really lucky and scored a parts truck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400