Audio unit and road noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Is there supposed to be a second wire here? Also sorry for all the posts just losing my mind

You must be registered for see images attach
Eww what living in there?

Camohurley

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Eww what living in there?
That radio came out of my fire cheifs father in laws truck the one in the truck is much cleaner but like I said they both have the issue only when an antenna wire is plugged in..no matter what truck it's in

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What ignition system is on the truck?

Camohurley

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm not 100% sure. It's got a distributor with rotor so I'm guessing it's a points ignition

Camohurley

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 scottsdale
Engine Size
But I plugged them both up to a good antenna with a hot and a ground on my 1996 Silverado which I've never had radio trouble with and it still did the same thing. It does it with the truck running and no running on both

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
But I plugged them both up to a good antenna with a hot and a ground on my 1996 Silverado which I've never had radio trouble with and it still did the same thing. It does it with the truck running and no running on both
Check your grounds add some it can't hurt I'm just trying to help I know what your trying to do and it's admirable, but fixing the Hackery in the harness should be done.

Camohurley

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Check your grounds add some it can't hurt I'm just trying to help I know what your trying to do and it's admirable, but fixing the Hackery in the harness should be done.
I agree I appreciate all the help. I think I'm just gonna have to buy an aftermarket after all:/ does anybody know where I can get one that does not have any digital screens?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I get the honoring fallen FF and marines but, if you dont enjoy driving the truck do to the hackery and bad radio chances are you wont drive it as much. Im willing to bet they would be ok with taste full upgrades provided it helped you enjoy the truck, imho.

Camohurley

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Alright guys I found a guy on eBay who refurbishes and resales the original radios with a good warranty so I ordered one I'll let y'all know what happens

Camohurley

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Alright I got the radio installed and it works good. Now the issue is at med. To high volume the speakers crackle and the music quality is poor. Does this mean I need more speakers then just my one dash speaker?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That's what I'd do. Cool you got the radio situation remedied. There will be one in the middle of the dash and maybe 2 behind the seat but maybe not

Camohurley

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 scottsdale
Engine Size
That's what I'd do. Cool you got the radio situation remedied. There will be one in the middle of the dash and maybe 2 behind the seat but maybe not
I appreciate it! Yea there aren't any behind the seat..just the one in the dash but the radio I got has a third plug to go to rear speakers so im gonna try to find some small speakers in a box to put behind the seat

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Sounds like you've got a set of old speakers as well.

Early years had a single 4"×10" speaker in the center of the dash under the dash pad. Later trucks had one at either end.

6"x9" speakers will fit in the cab corners. Can do 5" down at the kick panels or underneath the dash facing down.

If you wanna get a lot better, can also do an amp to have a cleaner sound. An amp helps prevent you from cranking the radio. The higher the volume is set on the headunit, the lower the actual quality since you'll be much closer to its actual output limits.

So it's best to actually max around 75% of the volume and let an amp boost the audio.