Anyone Used the $22 Brake Bleeder/Vac Pump from HFT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I skimmed the review page and didn't see it. Just wondering if anyone's used this, and if it can make it after bleeding the brakes on two vehicles? I know it's not well made, but I just want to get by.

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Vac

About 3 or 4 years ago, I searched the same thing, ended up with the next one up, the Mityvac for $40, when I finally read the directions lmao, it worked. The construction was a much better build to me than the cheaper one.
Many years ago, bought the one man B/B, almost the same without the vac pump, meh, it was worth it to get the Mityvac.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You know, I have a mighty vac in my tool box, I don't think i've ever used it to bleed the brakes. I've always had good results letting them gravity bleed.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
About 3 or 4 years ago, I searched the same thing, ended up with the next one up, the Mityvac for $40, when I finally read the directions lmao, it worked. The construction was a much better build to me than the cheaper one.
Many years ago, bought the one man B/B, almost the same without the vac pump, meh, it was worth it to get the Mityvac.

Good info, thank you. My good senses tell me I should just go ahead and get the Mityvac, but I'm really cheap. I'll probably just bite the bullet and spend eighteen more dollars. I went through the same thing with a timing light a few months back. My dad bought one in 2007 that gave up the ghost last year, and I tried timing by ear to stave off buying a new one, but I ended up caving there, too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've never used the HF set up either. I too have a Mighty Vac that's about 25 years or more old. I've never used it for bleeding brakes either. I usually do the old Pump it and Hold it method with good results.

Attachments

• MityVac 006.jpg
    MityVac 006.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 147

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You know, I have a mighty vac in my tool box, I don't think i've ever used it to bleed the brakes. I've always had good results letting them gravity bleed.

That's an interesting thought. I imagine that would work just fine, but I worry about dirt and other solid contaminants coming through without the push of the pedal or the pull of a vacuum pump. Last time I did it, I made a brake bleeder out of a plastic bottle and lawnmower fuel hose, and I hated it. Still had to pump the pedal, keep topping off the MC, and crawl under the truck. If I can just eliminate the pumping the pedal part, and worry about topping it off and crawling under there, I'd be happy.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I've never used the HF set up either. I too have a Mighty Vac that's about 25 years or more old. I've never used it for bleeding brakes either. I usually do the old Pump it and Hold it method with good results.

Do you get a buddy to pump the pedal, or do you just push something against to seat and hold the pedal in place while you crawl under and close the bleeder?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Do you get a buddy to pump the pedal, or do you just push something against to seat and hold the pedal in place while you crawl under and close the bleeder?

A competent buddy for sure.lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And there lies the problem for me. I don't really have any help, which is why I wanted the DIY method of brake bleeding.

I generally gravity bleed then use the Mity Vac starting with the furtherest from the MC and work towards it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I use a neighbor, a kid, whatever I can find. I can give them directions. If they're not holding it down like I asked, I can tell if they're letting it up before I tighten the bleeder. You can tell, usually hear it sucking air as they let up, then re explain, don't let it up until I say so.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I use a neighbor, a kid, whatever I can find. I can give them directions. If they're not holding it down like I asked, I can tell if they're letting it up before I tighten the bleeder. You can tell, usually hear it sucking air as they let up, then re explain, don't let it up until I say so.

And after that start smacking.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
if you get it, feel free to post results in the HF tools post:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4826&highlight=tools

Whatever I end up going with, I surely will.

I'll try my mom. She's about the only person who I can really ask and maybe be able to get it done the old fashioned way.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
And after that start smacking.

My thoughts on children in a nutshell. I'm halfway kidding, though. Have never planned on any, and I've been pretty set on that since I could mentally grasp the concept of having children. I'm very impatient when it comes to dealing with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey