Anyone Reproducing Air Inlet Tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Mine was missing when I bought my truck. I picked up this flexible tube from Home Depot just to draw some outside air under the hood here in the hot California desert, but it looks like it belongs on my wife's dryer! Does anyone reproduce the correct, black flexible plastic hose? Or I'd be happy with a good used one if anybody's got one they want to part with?
Thanks, Greg

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Mine was missing when I bought my truck. I picked up this flexible tube from Home Depot just to draw some outside air under the hood here in the hot California desert, but it looks like it belongs on my wife's dryer! Does anyone reproduce the correct, black flexible plastic hose? Or I'd be happy with a good used one if anybody's got one they want to part with?
Thanks, Greg

I got one laying here from my 87. I'm not sure if it mounts up the same.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That one should work perfectly. I know the heat riser tube is available, too, if you need that one also.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I must have chucked the part that clips to the rad support. But if it will work it's yours for the ride to Cali.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Thanks for the kind offer HK Jr, but I think '87 is different. It might be hard to tell by my picture but my duct points almost straight towards the radiator support inlet. The '87 style air cleaner outlet points almost completely sideways, towards the passenger fender, before curving back to the radiator support inlet.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for the kind offer HK Jr, but I think '87 is different. It might be hard to tell by my picture but my duct points almost straight towards the radiator support inlet. The '87 style air cleaner outlet points almost completely sideways, towards the passenger fender, before curving back to the radiator support inlet.

No problem man. You could use a newer air cleaner but if you keeping period correct as with your paint scheme I can respect that.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

LMC has the 73-80 and 81-87 versions. My '79 truck ran much better in the summer heat with the intake tube installed. I did two other things to help performance on mine. I switched to the taller 81-86 air cleaner lid. It gives you a 5 1/2" tall air filter vs. a 3 1/2". I alsocut the end off the intake end of the tube at the radiator support. I may get a few more bugs to the air lifter, but it acts more like a ram air.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Better buy 2 of them. The LMC reproductions won't last as long as the oem. LMC uses a China factory and the plastic is crap. You MIGHT get a years use out of it before the heat causes it to split at the accordian seams. It's a shame they can't source it from a US manufacturer who uses the correct plastic compounds

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
LMC has the 73-80 and 81-87 versions. My '79 truck ran much better in the summer heat with the intake tube installed. I did two other things to help performance on mine. I switched to the taller 81-86 air cleaner lid. It gives you a 5 1/2" tall air filter vs. a 3 1/2". I alsocut the end off the intake end of the tube at the radiator support. I may get a few more bugs to the air lifter, but it acts more like a ram air.

That's a good idea with the taller lid. If I run across one I will snag it for my truck. I have been kicking around the idea of doing a dual snorkel intake.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Thanks for the input guys. I see their listing only goes back to 1979. My truck is a '77. I wonder what the difference in the duct is?

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Y'know, now that I'm looking at that LMC listing, if memory serves me correctly, I think the difference is that the early duct was corrugated all the way to the rad support. The '79 style shows the straight end fitting at the rad support but this may be a suitable replacement for the earlier style. I just spoke with LMC and gal said nobody has actually tried it yet (wtf?), anyway I will check their measurements against mine, if it's close I'll order and install. Will post results here. Green79Scottsdale thanks for the listing.
Greg

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
FYI the picture of mine is in a 79. It should be the same for a '77.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Craig, that one looks like it should work.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Just received the 38-4358 fresh air duct from LMC Truck. Fit is perfect. It is an exact replacement for the earlier trucks as well. Don't know why they don't list it as such in their catalog.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400