Anyone recognize this lift? What is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
What creates the spring lift then? The number of leaves? I sorta figured it might be extra length causing the springs to "buckle up" a bit more, creating additional lift.

Spring rate.

Given a spring with the same arch (or no arch) and length, a thicker leaf will take more weight per inch compressed versus a thinner leaf. i.e. pounds per inch.

Factory specifications were labeled in pounds (the total weight a given spring pack could reliably and safely carry without permanent deformation).

Say you have two spring packs. One with 2 leaves, and one with 6 leaves and they're both the same arch, length, and lift height.

If they have the same spring rate, that would mean that the 2-leaf spring pack will contain leaves with a spring rate that is 3x larger (and realistically ~3x thicker) than the spring pack of 6 leaves.

Because the total spring rate (of the leaf pack) is the same, they should ride exactly the same.

Now, the manufacturer can alter the spring rate based upon the length, thickness, arch, and total number of leaves in a pack, as well as, how they're designed (how much length does one leaf cover of the next leaf above it). Cambered or rounded tips to the springs keeps them from digging into the spring above it and allows them to flex easier. Adding teflon sheets allows them to slip a bit more thus allowing them to flex even easier.

Ensuring the bushings are in good condition and well greased up in both the leaf springs and the shackles will be the biggest factor in a well operating suspension system.

Shocks with high dampening will also cause a stiff ride under smooth roads and make you feel ever little bump and crack in the road, but will keep the vehicle under control from a large bump/dip or pothole in the road.

Shocks with less dampening will create a comfortable ride on a smoother road or one with less wear and tear, but will create the classic floaty/bouncing on harder impacts.

Hope that helps.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Pretty sure all the front leaf springs are the same length in K10, K20 and K30. Maybe K30 is a little different but for sure K10 and K20 are the same and I do believe K30 is too, just not 100% positive.

My K30 has 3 leaves up front (for now). I don't know if this is due to the fact it is a factory 454 truck or the fact it's a 1 ton.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Also, the powertrain from a c-series truck won't necessarily fit in the k-series since the transmissions are longer and not setup to mount to a transfer case. So you'd reliably only get body parts, an engine, and rear suspension out of it.

I wanna circle back to this idea.....

So the engine will bolt right up, correct? If I stick with my existing tranny?

The front/back bumpers will mount right up, which I need. The doors/fenders will match - which I can use. And perhaps the bench seat, if I should go back to that (as opposed to the buckets now installed). So if I can get the truck for a steal, which is likely as it's been for sale for quite some time and has no title, then I could get a handful of decent goodies off of it, yeah? Just no springs! Haha. But I could wrangle quite a few other goodies off of it, should I decide to throw that much time at it. Agreed?

I love these old trucks. Sometimes I can't turn my mind off. Just cycling through all the possibilities...

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
There's no difference between the mounting pattern for the same transmission between 2wd & 4wd. Not 100% about the internals though. I BELIEVE that the only major difference between them is the 2wd's typically have a yoke or a slip joint output and the 4wd's have an output shaft designed to go straight into the transfer case.

The bodies are exactly the same. Fenders, radiator support, doors, bed, bumpers, cab (only difference is 2wd has low hump & 4wd has high hump for transmission tunnel). I'm pretty sure the bench seats mount the same in both cabs, considering that they don't mount to the trans tunnel. If it's between body styles, then the doors and windshield will have different glass thicknesses

Also, if you grab a 2wd for a parts truck, make sure to hold onto the steering box. It's essential for crossover steering or if it's busted up, can also use it for a core.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey all - can I mount a set of 33x12.50R15 on a set or OEM 8" rally wheels? That's what I'd prefer to do....

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Hey all - can I mount a set of 33x12.50R15 on a set or OEM 8" rally wheels? That's what I'd prefer to do....
Check the manufacturer specs for the tires you want. They'll show the max and minimum wheel width for each tire size.

I believe 8" is well within the range, though.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They will fit great, 8-10 inch width is the sweet spot for them.

CookieSoup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
did you decided to pull the lift off?

Forum statistics

Threads