Anyone experienced this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Dang. I just remembered that O'Reilly had a $50 dollar rebate if you bought the whole compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube, and their prices are pretty competitive in relation to other stores. I don't think they're still doing it, but it is summer so I'd peruse for rebates, coupons, etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, time for a new compressor. Yours is seized. I've seen it happen many times. Towing cars with serpentine belts where the AC compressor had seized and the belt was chewed off. And customers, says damn, I just had the compressor replaced at the beginning of summer, or this past spring..... It's cuz the installers don't install friggin oil.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Most of the A/C repair places just want to let their machine run through its automated cycle, and they often have no idea what should be showing on the gauges. The automated machine evacuates all the R134a, then pulls vacuum for a set time (usually 30 minutes), waits a preset time to see if the vacuum holds, and then charges the system with the selected amount of R134a. If everything goes well, the "technician" only needs to know how to connect the hoses and look up the R134a amount in a book so he can set the machine.

In your case the book they have won't list an amount for R-134a since the truck originally had R-12, so that can bring an inexperienced "technician" to a halt. However, all he has to do is look up the R-12 amount, and then multiply it by 75% to get the approximate R-134a amount. For example, my '75 with A6 compressor used 3 lbs, 12 oz of R-12 (60 oz total), so the expected R-134a charge will be about 45 oz (2 lbs, 9 oz).

For a conversion it is usually best to start out with a little less than the recommended amount of R-134a and then watch the gauges while you add 1 oz at a time. However, that means the technician also has to understand how to interpret the gauge readings, which will vary based on ambient temperature and refrigerant charge.

Bruce

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I always charged based on the pressures and temp drop. Verifying it against listed amount as verifiction that everything is working correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969