Anybody used one of these intakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I picked this BBC intake up for $30 last night. Had to drive to Jacksonville, but it made for a nice night with the wife and no kids.

Apparently this is a factory GM aluminum dual-plane with rectangle ports. I'm gonna plop it on my peanut-head RV motor and see how it runs. Should be fun.

Anybody run one of these before? Seems like a neat intake. Its got brass water passages as apparently it was used on boats etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Typical dual plane makes torque... but what the heck is going on with the brass exposed like that!?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Typical dual plane makes torque... but what the heck is going on with the brass exposed like that!?

Apparently it was a common "thing" for these intakes. All the ones I saw on eBay had the same thing going on. Even the painted ones you could see it. I guess they must have put the brass water passage into the mold first, then poured the aluminum in over it and in some cases the aluminum just did not quite make it over the brass. Strange looking without paint, but apparently common.

I'll be curious to see what affect this intake will have on power over the factory pancake intake. This is a rectangle-port intake and I'll be putting it on a set of peanut heads. I've seen mixed results on the net for this type of combo. I can only image ANYTHING is better than the pancake intake. Should be interesting!

This will be going in my Camaro too, not my truck.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It it's marine it's more likely to be bronze. Brass and salt water don't get along in a multi metal environment. Galvanic action pulls the zinc out of the brass.

It's probably popping out of the casting because of the different expansion rates of the dissimilar metals, or it could be that the aluminum just didn't cover it as you said.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Wouldn't that intake (brass or bronze) be heavy and a heat soak more than an aluminum one? Idk just wondering.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
It it's marine it's more likely to be bronze. Brass and salt water don't get along in a multi metal environment. Galvanic action pulls the zinc out of the brass.

It's probably popping out of the casting because of the different expansion rates of the dissimilar metals, or it could be that the aluminum just didn't cover it as you said.

Wouldn't that intake (brass or bronze) be heavy and a heat soak more than an aluminum one? Idk just wondering.

Bugger. I meant bronze. My bad. It does not look like any kind of "damage" i.e. popping out, it just looks like it was formed that way. Weird huh?

And only the water passage is bronze. The rest of the intake is aluminum like normal. The bronze water passage was designed to hold up to sea water (either fresh or salt).

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Gotcha. Musta misread.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That sucker is weird looking. But I woulda bought it too, lol.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If it’s marine it would have a constant flow of cool water. In an automotive application it may be a detriment.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
There seems to be a lot of conflicting info about that part number but it appears to be a marine application originally. At $30 you got a great deal so if it doesn't work out you can at least make some money on it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That is a rare one for certain and certainly worth a LOT more than $30. Great score!
That dumps several pounds of weight right off the top of the engine, and dissipates heat better allowing you to have cooler intake air.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
That is a rare one for certain and certainly worth a LOT more than $30. Great score!
That dumps several pounds of weight right off the top of the engine, and dissipates heat better allowing you to have cooler intake air.

This was my thought. I realize that the giant rectangle ports are probably not the best match to the peanut heads, but between price, weight, etc it can only be better than the pancake iron monster the motor came with.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
This was my thought. I realize that the giant rectangle ports are probably not the best match to the peanut heads, but between price, weight, etc it can only be better than the pancake iron monster the motor came with.
Only thing I’d worry about it intake runner turbulence. Big blocks don’t mind a mismatch of port configuration, but that’s a pretty drastic difference in size and shape with a large wall at the head. Just my .02.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Anyone used the old Chevy bowtie intakes? Back in the early 90's my buddy had one on his 86 square and his dirt track car. His square body short bed would **** and get with just the intake and headers on a 350 sbc. He put it on his dirt track car because it was within their rules. Said gained 50hp. Don' know if was actually 50hp tho that seems a bit high But you could tell it was a significant increase in hp. He won a lot of races too with it on his dirt track car.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Anyone used the old Chevy bowtie intakes? Back in the early 90's my buddy had one on his 86 square and his dirt track car. His square body short bed would **** and get with just the intake and headers on a 350 sbc. He put it on his dirt track car because it was within their rules. Said gained 50hp. Don' know if was actually 50hp tho that seems a bit high But you could tell it was a significant increase in hp. He won a lot of races too with it on his dirt track car.

Looks similar to an Edelbrock Performer just made for Chevy. If you want a little bit mor high rpm HP put an open spacer between the carb and intake or you can cut a a1/2” of the center decider out. The spacer is less evasive and can be easily done on the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400