Any Sheetmetal guys on here???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
with the plasti welding, you wont spend a dime if you have a soldering iron. The product is already there....just cracked....melt it back together, or if you feel you need more....grab a bottle cap or some scrap plastic.

That doesn't fix the rubber bushing in the bottom of the tank that goes bad all the time from sitting. It's like a rubber grommet that pushes into a hole in the tank, then a plastic fitting slips into that grommet. So all it takes is either the ID of the grommet to shrink a bit, or the OD to shrink a bit. Either one, and the gas just runs right out of it. Just a bad design IMO. With nothing to lose by trying, if my bushing/grommet isn't leaking at this time, I'll try that soldering iron trick and melt the crack back together.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What if you thread the vent side of a 1 gallon plastic can so you can thread a hose barb into it? Then you can set ii on its side on top of the generator in a milk crate.

I'd have to look through my gas can inventory and see if I have an old school gas can with a vent in it. Gas Cans since the late 90's I think it is, don't have vents anymore.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'd have to look through my gas can inventory and see if I have an old school gas can with a vent in it. Gas Cans since the late 90's I think it is, don't have vents anymore.

Rural king has kits to make cans with vents, we put them on all our cans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I see now. What about a small flat boat gas tank? Then put a metal fitting coming out the bottom to hook into whats on the generator. Seal that fitting with plasTpair, JB wel, etc. Just thinking out loud and not seeing what you've got.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What about one out of aluminum? I made one for my derby car. I'll have to take a picture of it. I ordered the weld on cap online somewhere cant remember where

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I see now. What about a small flat boat gas tank? Then put a metal fitting coming out the bottom to hook into whats on the generator. Seal that fitting with plasTpair, JB wel, etc. Just thinking out loud and not seeing what you've got.

That may be possible too. If I can fix the crack with a soldering iron, then get either a plastic or metal fitting and either JB weld, or soldering gun and melt it in. I'd have to get a big fitting though and then a reduced cuz the rubber grommet bushing part is quite big around, maybe a little bigger than a 50 cent piece, then the ID fitting that goes into that grommet is about as big around as a dime.

What about one out of aluminum? I made one for my derby car. I'll have to take a picture of it. I ordered the weld on cap online somewhere cant remember where

Yes, Aluminum or Stianless is what I was thinking about.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well i could weld you up something for a tank... but dont know how much you looking to spend and not a clue what shipping from mi would cost you. Would have to have some dimensions material wouldn't be much I think the cap is like 20 bucks...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just remembered there might still be a tank from a Honeywell generator, up on a shelf at work. If nobody scrapped it, it should still be there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just remembered there might still be a tank from a Honeywell generator, up on a shelf at work. If nobody scrapped it, it should still be there.

This is an Ingersol Rand Generator. I wonder how close it is to fitting this one and if I could mod it to fit. Is it plastic too? Will they let you scrap it at an OKC scrap yard? :shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well i could weld you up something for a tank... but dont know how much you looking to spend and not a clue what shipping from mi would cost you. Would have to have some dimensions material wouldn't be much I think the cap is like 20 bucks...

hmmm, I probably need to get some measurements and better pics with the current tank removed so someone can get an idea what needs to be done and how much material needed. I'm kinda broke at the moment and probably will be for quite some time. Hoping someone here might have some scrap material laying around and be able to get me a to good to be true deal. I might even just have to get by with one of these other suggestions like a plastic gas can or fix the current mess with a soldering iron. I also have I think a gallon plastic tank from a roto tiller that I might have to use. I only need the generator cuz I'm not spending cash to turn the electric on at my storage/shop.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This is an Ingersol Rand Generator. I wonder how close it is to fitting this one and if I could mod it to fit. Is it plastic too? Will they let you scrap it at an OKC scrap yard? :shrug:

It was a steel tank. Had a fill on top and IIRC, it was just a single outlet fitting. The generator you have looks to be roughly the same size as our old Honeywell.

Hopefully it's still there. It would be easy to box up and ship, and probably not break the bank either.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It was a steel tank. Had a fill on top and IIRC, it was just a single outlet fitting. The generator you have looks to be roughly the same size as our old Honeywell.

Hopefully it's still there. It would be easy to box up and ship, and probably not break the bank either.

Cool, if it's any kind of similar and steel I bet I can make it work.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have the gas tank, tomorrow I'll get some pictures and measurements for you.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's awesome. I'm hoping when I can get that generator unburied in the storage/shop, I can rig up a gas tank and have electricity there.

Isn't this some ****, I have a power box and electric at my shop that has become storage instead. I called to get the electricity turned on, it's friggin $1.25 a day just to have the power on. That's not even using any electricity. It's not a minimum or nothing like that. You pay that just to have the electric. One guy I talked to that has a shop next door to mine. I ask him what his electric bill is every month, he said it's cheap only about $45 a month. All he has is an overhead flourscent light and his garage door opener. So his actual monthly usage is only about $7. Now on the other side or our bus district, they have a different electric company. Those guys have bills of like $20-$40 a month and they're running refrigerators, microwaves, TV's, computers etc. It sucks. What a difference in just the electric company that you don't have a choice of. At any rate, being broke af, I'll just run a generator for what little electric I'll need. Part of the roof in the shop is like a UPS truck roof so it lets in plenty of light in the daytime. I just need power to run power tools occasionally, and if I ever get rid of enough **** to be able to use my shop then I might have to get the electric turned on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size