Another NP203 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Agree, I was referring to shifting slop I can feel in the driveline when going D-R and back.

you by chance have a detroit locker in one of the axles? some people are thrown of by the chunking engagement they can have.. unless of course this slop is a recent onset for the truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Agreed, a non-converted case would fit the bill here.

And as far as t-case swapping goes, you're stuck with a 203 or a 205. Anything else will require a longer output shaft in the trans.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
you by chance have a detroit locker in one of the axles? some people are thrown of by the chunking engagement they can have.. unless of course this slop is a recent onset for the truck.

The rear is an stock open differential. The front is probably stock too...but not positive on that.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
get a regular non converted 203 and throw it in. Should not matter for a snow plow truck that barely drives much of a distance

good thought. Or could I remove the current worn out part time kit from my original transfer case? If I can't do that and have to source an unconverted NP203, what do I do about my front locking hubs? Just leave them locked in?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
good thought. Or could I remove the current worn out part time kit from my original transfer case? If I can't do that and have to source an unconverted NP203, what do I do about my front locking hubs? Just leave them locked in?
In 4x but unlock them when not, even remove the front driveshaft in spring and summer with the hubs unlocked.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
In 4x but unlock them when not, even remove the front driveshaft in spring and summer with the hubs unlocked.
Unlocking the front hubs in a non-converted 203 will allow the truck to roll away in park if on an incline. The rear portion of the tcase has a differential similar to what you find in an axle.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Unlocking the front hubs in a non-converted 203 will allow the truck to roll away in park if on an incline. The rear portion of the tcase has a differential similar to what you find in an axle.
Oh my bad my black eye for he day:boxed: sorry @Matt Braun for mis information.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
get a regular non converted 203 and throw it in. Should not matter for a snow plow truck that barely drives much of a distance

This.

That conversion is of the devil. Exorcise your truck and be rid of it forever!

I think my truck is not converted but only has locking hubs...I leave it in 4H ALL THE TIME, hubs locked.
It drives better with the hubs locked and i like it gooder...

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
As mentioned leave hubs locked. Depending on the conversion kit it has, but I believe you would still need to source a non converted 203 to undo the conversion

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
... but I believe you would still need to source a non converted 203 to undo the conversion

Yup, and there are parts variations between the different years.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, what about putting in a new mile marker kit? Looks like an easy enough job and a lot faster and cost effective than sourcing an unconverted 203. I know these aren't good long term kits but for the amount of mileage we are putting on what would it matter?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
This.

That conversion is of the devil. Exorcise your truck and be rid of it forever!

I think my truck is not converted but only has locking hubs...I leave it in 4H ALL THE TIME, hubs locked.
It drives better with the hubs locked and i like it gooder...

Well blow me down! I've heard that leaving it in 4WD all the time can damage the Tcase. I have a non-molested 203. Have I been misinformed? Please edumacate me.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Well, what about putting in a new mile marker kit? Looks like an easy enough job and a lot faster and cost effective than sourcing an unconverted 203. I know these aren't good long term kits but for the amount of mileage we are putting on what would it matter?
That depends on what exactly is wrong with the existing unit

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well blow me down! I've heard that leaving it in 4WD all the time can damage the Tcase. I have a non-molested 203. Have I been misinformed? Please edumacate me.

The 203was designed to be a full time 4x4 case. That's why it has the extra differential in it, to allow the front and rear wheel sets to spin at different speed, like the open diff in an axle. The other cases will get damaged if driven in 4x4 for extended periods on surfaces like pavement. They don't have the extra differential in them, so if the wheels can't slip, it put more strain on the case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128