Another annoying AC Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natep7

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
on my 79 K10 when the motor was installed in the truck they did not reinstall ac compressor but everything else is there. They said they lost a bracket for it and just say the hell with it. So now i need the AC brackets and need to know if it was an A6 or R4 compressor. R4 Is a whole bunch cheaper than the big A6. So i need to see what is the best option for that and also where can I get the compressor brackets?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
on my 79 K10 when the motor was installed in the truck they did not reinstall ac compressor but everything else is there. They said they lost a bracket for it and just say the hell with it. So now i need the AC brackets and need to know if it was an A6 or R4 compressor. R4 Is a whole bunch cheaper than the big A6. So i need to see what is the best option for that and also where can I get the compressor brackets?

Do you have a picture of the compressor? They did give it back to you, right? If not, I'd be mutilating their mailbox right about now.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
It's probably cheapest to find a parts truck off cl.
Nobody is going to take off single brackets.
I have a couple of olds motors in great shape..but like you..I need all the engine pulleys and brackets.
Be glad your hunting a chevy 350..and not olds parts...very hard to find at reasonable prices.

natep7

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you have a picture of the compressor? They did give it back to you, right? If not, I'd be mutilating their mailbox right about now.

Nope he did not and said he couldnt find it nor the brackets,

natep7

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's probably cheapest to find a parts truck off cl.
Nobody is going to take off single brackets.
I have a couple of olds motors in great shape..but like you..I need all the engine pulleys and brackets.
Be glad your hunting a chevy 350..and not olds parts...very hard to find at reasonable prices.

That is what i have been doing so ill just keep searching, wish i could find out what style compressor i need.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
They owe you big time!! You don't just "lose " a compressor. Some body at the shop needed it, or they sold it. I would go after them

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

The situation you're describing is a classic chicken/egg dilemma. For whatever reason, you don't know what type of compressor was installed (odds are it was an A6). To make matters more complicated, the shop lost the compressor bracketing.

If you knew which version of compressor was installed, you could try to locate the appropriate bracket parts. On the other hand - if you had the bracketing - it would be obvious which type of compressor it was intended to support.

Frankly, as things stand now, you have a clean slate to work with. You have no compressor and no compressor bracketing - correct? Start fresh. Look around and get a feel for what is easier/cheaper to source (i.e. the compressor or it's associated brackets) and then move forward with that in mind.

I'll give you a hint: You can buy a reconditioned compressor (either an R4 or an A6) anywhere - on any day. However, the correct bracketing to mount either compressor to a 350 is becoming very difficult to find. I see fewer and fewer of these trucks in the JY's and no one is reproducing these types of parts. If you can get your hands on a complete bracket set - for either type of compressor - I would strongly suggest that you let the bracketing determine which type of compressor to install (rather than the other way around).

Here is the compressor mounting dwg appropriate for your year/motor. This particular dwg shows the bracketing for an A6 compressor:

You must be registered for see images attach

And here is the parts list showing applicable compressors. Note that the R4 and A6 compressors are both listed as options:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, I agree. That’s gonna be hard to tell without at least that top bracket. The fact that the bracket’s also gone tells me something's up. I’d be confronting the shop and/or calling the Texas AG’s Office of Consumer Protection.

natep7

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They owe you big time!! You don't just "lose " a compressor. Some body at the shop needed it, or they sold it. I would go after them

Oh if it happened that way It would not have ended like that. They guy i bought it from is the one who put the motor back in after rebuild and sold it to me that way.

natep7

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The situation you're describing is a classic chicken/egg dilemma. For whatever reason, you don't know what type of compressor was installed (odds are it was an A6). To make matters more complicated, the shop lost the compressor bracketing.

If you knew which version of compressor was installed, you could try to locate the appropriate bracket parts. On the other hand - if you had the bracketing - it would be obvious which type of compressor it was intended to support.

Frankly, as things stand now, you have a clean slate to work with. You have no compressor and no compressor bracketing - correct? Start fresh. Look around and get a feel for what is easier/cheaper to source (i.e. the compressor or it's associated brackets) and then move forward with that in mind.

I'll give you a hint: You can buy a reconditioned compressor (either an R4 or an A6) anywhere - on any day. However, the correct bracketing to mount either compressor to a 350 is becoming very difficult to find. I see fewer and fewer of these trucks in the JY's and no one is reproducing these types of parts. If you can get your hands on a complete bracket set - for either type of compressor - I would strongly suggest that you let the bracketing determine which type of compressor to install (rather than the other way around).

Here is the compressor mounting dwg appropriate for your year/motor. This particular dwg shows the bracketing for an A6 compressor:

And here is the parts list showing applicable compressors. Note that the R4 and A6 compressors are both listed as options:

Thanks alot for the info and I will start fresh and see what is the best option for me

natep7

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just to clarify guys, I bought the truck from a guy who did all the work to the motor. I knew what I bought but just got so hot here and thought about slapping a compressor on since everything else is there. Just didnt know those brackets were this hard to find.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Just to clarify guys, I bought the truck from a guy who did all the work to the motor. I knew what I bought but just got so hot here and thought about slapping a compressor on since everything else is there. Just didnt know those brackets were this hard to find.
OK , but still he has no idea where any of the brackets or the compressor is? Makes me wonder how he got it all back together without losing more parts -brackets. Anyway good luck with your pursuit of pieces.

natep7

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
OK , but still he has no idea where any of the brackets or the compressor is? Makes me wonder how he got it all back together without losing more parts -brackets. Anyway good luck with your pursuit of pieces.

Yes that is correct. There was so many parts everywhere im sure they are somewhere on the floor in the 4ft grass.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

Latest posts

Forum statistics