Amp settings and speaker placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
As of right now i have a 4 channel 50 per channel kenwood head unit, and a mono 300w kenwood amp. These push 2 75w 5inch speakers off the head unit, and a kicker 300w r10 sub. What should i set the input sensitivity at on the amp, and what could i do for more speakers, not sure if i need any more but if there's any good way for better sound in a standard cab im all ears

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
There are kick panel speakers that look ok, although I'm not sure what kind of sound you'd get out of them down there.

There are the 6 x 9 boxes that can go in the extreme corners of the cab that are probably pretty good.

The LMC head liner has little speakers pointed right at your head, but imo, it looks plasticky and garbage. I've never seen one in real life though.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
There are kick panel speakers that look ok, although I'm not sure what kind of sound you'd get out of them down there.

There are the 6 x 9 boxes that can go in the extreme corners of the cab that are probably pretty good.

The LMC head liner has little speakers pointed right at your head, but imo, it looks plasticky and garbage. I've never seen one in real life though.

Yea I've seen those head liner units and agree. I have a couple 2x4s that I could put in the dash, anyone had those turn out well?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I've seen people put two tiny speakers in the factory dash hole.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I've seen people put two tiny speakers in the factory dash hole.

Yea I've been considering that but I'm not sure if having then close like that will do any good, I already have tweeters in the 5 inches in the doors

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yea I've been considering that but I'm not sure if having then close like that will do any good, I already have tweeters in the 5 inches in the doors
I have a 6" component set in my doors...bottom front corners. And the 3 inchers in the dash corners. They actually work very nice together if you balance them right. What the dash speakers do for you is raise the sound stage closer to ear level so you don't feel like you are listening to a concert played at your feet. The trick is you want most your sound coming from the better speakers in the doors, but just enough coming from the lower quality dash speakers to bounce off the window into your ears to raise the sound floor. I also have a full size sub and 6×9s in boxes in the back...my songs Christmas preasent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 6" component set in my doors...bottom front corners. And the 3 inchers in the dash corners. They actually work very nice together if you balance them right. What the dash speakers do for you is raise the sound stage closer to ear level so you don't feel like you are listening to a concert played at your feet. The trick is you want most your sound coming from the better speakers in the doors, but just enough coming from the lower quality dash speakers to bounce off the window into your ears to raise the sound floor. I also have a full size sub and 6×9s in boxes in the back...my songs Christmas preasent.

Sons Christmas present

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size

If I ever get new door panels, il probably go that route since ive got the 6x9 holes in the lower doors. I like what you say about the sound stage, it makes sense and makes me feel better about hacking the dash. How do the speakers behind the seat work?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
On my '79 I had 6x9's in the doors and rear cab corners (same brackets as post # 6). I had some 1" tweeters sitting around, so I installed them where the OEM center dash speaker was. I made a bracket that angled the tweeters toward the corresponding rear cab corners. It helped fill in the highs in the cab without hacking the dash.

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If I ever get new door panels, il probably go that route since ive got the 6x9 holes in the lower doors. I like what you say about the sound stage, it makes sense and makes me feel better about hacking the dash. How do the speakers behind the seat work?
In the back I have the standard 6×9s in boxes and a full size 12" sub. I'll get pics later. I can get the bench seat most the way back....but not all the way back. Obviously this wouldn't suit tall people. But I'm 5'8" and fit really comfortable. My son is shorter than me so it works well. I'm just got everything installed but it sounds very good so far. We mostly listen to country and rock . I'll shoot you some pics later if you have any questions. Here is one of the speakers in the doors.
You must be registered for see images attach

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's the back...clustered but organized. As a design goal I didn't want to drill any holes in the truck at all other than running wires to the doors. So all amps, crossovers, power supply lines etc were mounted to the speaker boxes.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Here's the back...clustered but organized. As a design goal I didn't want to drill any holes in the truck at all other than running wires to the doors. So all amps, crossovers, power supply lines etc were mounted to the speaker boxes.

I dig it! If it weren't for the fact that my truck was a beater before I got it, I'd have done the same, but I went ahead and just drilled holes in it. I like how you guys do 6x9s in the back and lower doors. Next time I work on the interior I'll probably go that route too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969