Alternator wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Alright the old alternator wires lead back to one of the red wires and the brown one.

Then the other red one ran to a power distribution block on my firewall. I'm guessing these two thicker red wires are my "power ins". I'm just looking at schematics to try to figure out the brown wire.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yep, those are the two wires I was talking about. One of them should be running the the junction block on the firewall (which was originally fed from the battery terminal on the starter). I opted to run dedicated wires from my distribution block for the 2 running into the bulkhead, and then a heavier gauge wire directly to the junction block, for the HVAC.

If I recall, I deleted the brown wire. You do, unfortunately, lose the alternator light, but you can just watch the volt gauge instead. I don't know if there is a way to maintain the light, seems like a lot of swaps ditch it (mine included).

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
Yep, those are the two wires I was talking about. One of them should be running the the junction block on the firewall (which was originally fed from the battery terminal on the starter). I opted to run dedicated wires from my distribution block for the 2 running into the bulkhead, and then a heavier gauge wire directly to the junction block, for the HVAC.

If I recall, I deleted the brown wire. You do, unfortunately, lose the alternator light, but you can just watch the volt gauge instead. I don't know if there is a way to maintain the light, seems like a lot of swaps ditch it (mine included).

It's all making sense now. I'll be going for a first start today on the motor. Fingers crossed!

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size

I guess one last question. Lol. I'm running a 150 amp breaker between the battery and the alternator. What rating fusible link did you use running to your ignition system? The Chilton's schematics don't specify a rating on that guy.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I guess one last question. Lol. I'm running a 150 amp breaker between the battery and the alternator. What rating fusible link did you use running to your ignition system? The Chilton's schematics don't specify a rating on that guy.

There isn't a hard and fast rule, per se, but in general, a 6" length of fusible link, 2 gauges smaller than the wire it feeds, is a good general rule of thumb.

For example, if your power feed to your harness was 14 gauge wire, you would use a 6" length of 16 gauge fusible link.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
There isn't a hard and fast rule, per se, but in general, a 6" length of fusible link, 2 gauges smaller than the wire it feeds, is a good general rule of thumb.

For example, if your power feed to your harness was 14 gauge wire, you would use a 6" length of 16 gauge fusible link.

Alright great. Thanks again. Oh man. And another question. On my truck, the tan wire at the firewall will be for my oil pressure guage and the dark green wire will be for my coolant temp. Are these wires on the right side bundle of the firewall when looking from the front of the truck?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
They'll be on the left side of the bulkhead. The right side bundle is tail light wiring, if I recall.

347strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R15
Engine Size
No go yet boys. I'll keep you updated! Unfortunately I'm back to work for two weeks. So if she doesn't start today, she'll be sitting until I return.

h3adbang3r14

Reaction score
First Name
markus
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
sbc 400 from 78 k30
i have a si style alternator in my 81 and used an adapter i found on ebay that goes from the si plug on alternator to the cs plug on harness to run bolt gauge has built in resistor

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Here is how I setup my wiring:

I have a heavy gauge wire straight from the battery, through a large fuse, then to a distribution block. From the distribution block, I power both power wires into the factory bulkhead, a wire to the junction block on the firewall for the HVAC, and a power wire to my LS swap harness.

Where did you mount this distribution block?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
It's on the on the core support, engine bay side, on the driver's side. I relocated my battery to the driver's side to use the factory LS battery cables. If you aren't keen on relocating the battery, the passenger side might make more sense.

Nice Vette, btw! I've got a C5 (currently in pieces waiting on a steering rack rebuild), but always loved the looks of the C3.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
It's on the on the core support, engine bay side, on the driver's side. I relocated my battery to the driver's side to use the factory LS battery cables. If you aren't keen on relocating the battery, the passenger side might make more sense.

Nice Vette, btw! I've got a C5 (currently in pieces waiting on a steering rack rebuild), but always loved the looks of the C3.

Thanks, its another work in progress. I was hoping it was on the firewall, I want to put mine there but havent gotten around to it. Guess I need to get on that before I do serp. conversion and efan. Have been stalling as it will evolve into removing electric bracke controller that is probably as old as the truck, removing the useless baja lights.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I want a Corvette now. :( lol
C5s aren't bad, price wise. I bought a really low mile one for $17.5K. If I had to do it again, I'd get something with a few more miles; this one has some weird issues from sitting that I've been working on repairing. I've seen good examples go for 14-15k.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Thanks, its another work in progress. I was hoping it was on the firewall, I want to put mine there but havent gotten around to it. Guess I need to get on that before I do serp. conversion and efan. Have been stalling as it will evolve into removing electric bracke controller that is probably as old as the truck, removing the useless baja lights.

You could always run it on the firewall. Just make sure you put the big 150 amp fuse as close to the battery as possible, and use some good heavy gauge wire (8ga) to the distribution block, and you'll be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL