Air Compressor Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
A good bit I have an 80 gallon tank on my compressor . I have an Esab 1125 it will sever an 1 1/8” way bigger then I will ever need but the price was right, work was gonna throw it out lol 9 bucks for a few MOVs and I was burning steel lol
Hell yeah! Can't beat a deal like that. I have no idea how much plasma cutters use. I just know that my media blaster uses 12 cfm @ 90psi and the compressor cycles off and on even when running the blaster nonstop for 15 minutes. Quincy makes a hell of a compressor in my opinion.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Last edited:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Thanks everyone. I think it should do me for the rest of my life. If not it can be fixed, it's not the kind you just get rid of and go buy another. I have one more question. Should I hard wire it to my breaker box, or get a plug box, and wire it that way.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks everyone. I think it should do me for the rest of my life. If not it can be fixed, it's not the kind you just get rid of and go buy another. I have one more question. Should I hard wire it to my breaker box, or get a plug box, and wire it that way.
I’d hard wire with a fused disconnect between it and your panel. That’s what I did with mine again just my .02 if **** goes wrong better to blow some fuses then burn your garage down.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I put a plug on mine and installed an outlet in my wall. I thought in the future I may need to plug something else in. I believe I used a 40 amp breaker.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The Quincy is rated 15.2 cfm @ 175psi and yours is 17.5 cfm @ 175psi. So they are in the same ballpark.
Yup like I said before I was curious I wasn’t picking on them I know they are a quality unit.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just wired mine right to the breaker box. I leave power to it all the time unless I'm out of town, then I just flip the breaker off.

I also used a 30 amp breaker because that's what I had already. A 40 would be better, but it's never tripped the breaker yet.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I just wired mine right to the breaker box. I leave power to it all the time unless I'm out of town, then I just flip the breaker off.

I also used a 30 amp breaker because that's what I had already. A 40 would be better, but it's never tripped the breaker yet.
The bad part about that is every time you flip the breaker it gets weaker but it don’t appear your ever home so it sits in the relaxed position

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The bad part about that is every time you flip the breaker it gets weaker but it don’t appear your ever home so it sits in the relaxed position

Lol, yeah it doesn't get switched often. Although thinking about it now, I could just flip the little switch on the compressor's box doohickey. Durr.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lol, yeah it doesn't get switched often. Although thinking about it now, I could just flip the little switch on the compressor's box doohickey. Durr.
I took an old crane down so I re tasked one of its disconnects for mine over kill but I always manage to pinch my finger on the doo hickey switch lol

LDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey folks, how happy are you with that Quincy from lowes? I was told to go for the 7.5 HP but it is so much more out of my budget that I was considering the 5HP.

My primary use will be to paint with it and run grinders, etc...

I was also looking at the I.R. at Tractor Supply 80 gal tank. I've read that there is a difference in quality between the 5HP and 7.5 HP with these as well....

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Hey folks, how happy are you with that Quincy from lowes? I was told to go for the 7.5 HP but it is so much more out of my budget that I was considering the 5HP.

My primary use will be to paint with it and run grinders, etc...

I was also looking at the I.R. at Tractor Supply 80 gal tank. I've read that there is a difference in quality between the 5HP and 7.5 HP with these as well....

I've been extremely happy with my 5HP Quincy. Even while sandblasting, which is basically a giant air leak, it will cycle the compressor off because it stills builds up pressure. I haven't found anything it can't run yet. Wide open die grinder, impact, painting, sandblaster, it's handled it all perfectly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Same here. Nevermind that the higher price unit was out of the budget, anything more than the 5hp Quincy would have been downright overkill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara