Air Compressor Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well it is that time in life when I need an air compressor that can keep up with my needs. I have been looking for a little bit now. I think a 60 gal two stage will meet my needs. I have looked at Ingersol, HF, Husky, Colbalt, and what ever the one Eastman sells. I have looked at most of the reviews of all of them. The HF seems to be getting pretty good reviews. Ingersol I guess changed who they get their pumps from and have had a bad time. I don't really want to spend over a grand. I need to be able to run my Sand Blasting cabinet, air tools, and not have to stop every 10 minutes to wait for it to fill up. Sand Blasting is the reason I'm getting a bigger Air Compressor. Has anyone bought and used the HF one? Or if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. I really want a new one. I thought about CL and we've all dealt with the BS of "it runs great" two weeks later I have to get a new one..

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Regarding sand blasting, you will need lots of air as you know and good trick is to install a few more air tanks, all sharing the same line. Cheap tanks can be found at auto wreckers or junk yards. Look for old propane tanks, the bigger the better. The more air capacity you have, once filled, the longer you can blast without the pressure and performance dwindling.

As far as used, depends what it is. A 50 yr old Gardner Denver compressor will still likely outlast anything new imo. I actually shop for used equipment because it's often better than new. Remember, years ago tools, equipment and Chevy TRUCKS were built to last. These days, things are built to elicit an emotion response and a sale.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have a Big Red Air Machine. 80gallon tank and I use it with my plasma cutter which demands a good bit of air. That compressor is sold threw snap-on I got it cheaper because it was a repo. I have never had a issue with it even with a 3/4” impact. They ain’t cheap tho it says Snap-on on it lol we have a Husky from Home death spot and I’ve painted a **** load of cranes with it and it keeps up nicely and it’s 2 stage. I my self would go for the Husky over the HF

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Quincy!

The basic 60 gal unit has very very good flow specs and is 100% American made too. Way better than a larger cheaper unit. Not much over the 1K budget either.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Husky and some of the larger Kobalt compressors are made by Campbell Hausfeld. The pumps on them used to be made in the U.S. but not anymore, I've read they're from India now.

I suggested @Mr Clean get the HF 60 gallon unit back in early 2016 but did he listen? Noooo.:Nonono: He got a 26 gal. oil-less unit and now he's back asking the same questions all over again.:banghead:
(just busting your chops a little Shawn, please don't kill me)

The HF unit is still made in the same factory as BelAire compressors in South Carolina but the pumps have changed. The proven reliable model with upright cylinders (made in Italy) has been replaced by a v-shaped pump and I don't know if they are better or worse than the early type.

@bucket is right, Quincy is the way to go if you can find one that hasn't had the crap run out of it. Quincys run at much slower rpm and are way more quiet. Problem is, they cost a fortune to purchase new and don't go on Craigslist until they need a rebuild.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine was a little over 1200 new. It's been a couple years though.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I bought a Quincy 60 gallon 2 stage with a 5 horse electric motor. Sumbitch will run my media blaster and still cycle off! I love the thing. I think it was about $1300 or so. Worth every damn penny.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Husky and some of the larger Kobalt compressors are made by Campbell Hausfeld. The pumps on them used to be made in the U.S. but not anymore, I've read they're from India now.

I suggested @Mr Clean get the HF 60 gallon unit back in early 2016 but did he listen? Noooo.:Nonono: He got a 26 gal. oil-less unit and now he's back asking the same questions all over again.:banghead:
(just busting your chops a little Shawn, please don't kill me)

The HF unit is still made in the same factory as BelAire compressors in South Carolina but the pumps have changed. The proven reliable model with upright cylinders (made in Italy) has been replaced by a v-shaped pump and I don't know if they are better or worse than the early type.

@bucket is right, Quincy is the way to go if you can find one that hasn't had the crap run out of it. Quincys run at much slower rpm and are way more quiet. Problem is, they cost a fortune to purchase new and don't go on Craigslist until they need a rebuild.

LOL...YES DEAR, that's what I say to my wife when she says I don't listen... Yes you are correct you did tell me to get the 60 gallon, just wasn't in the budget back than. I was looking at Quincy, don't have a dealer anywhere around me. Shipping is what is killing it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Quincy!

The basic 60 gal unit has very very good flow specs and is 100% American made too. Way better than a larger cheaper unit. Not much over the 1K budget either.

I can't find a dealer near me. Shipping is outrageous. I was looking at a Ingersoll Rand 80 gal two stage, it is on sale at Tractor Supply for 999. I need to do just a bit more research.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I have a Big Red Air Machine. 80gallon tank and I use it with my plasma cutter which demands a good bit of air. That compressor is sold threw snap-on I got it cheaper because it was a repo. I have never had a issue with it even with a 3/4” impact. They ain’t cheap tho it says Snap-on on it lol we have a Husky from Home death spot and I’ve painted a **** load of cranes with it and it keeps up nicely and it’s 2 stage. I my self would go for the Husky over the HF

I have read good and bad about the Husky, but than again there is good and bad reviews on just about all Air Compressors. As far as the Snap-On that is not going to happen..Momma gave me a budget, and that's what I have to be around, or she kicks my ass.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I can't find a dealer near me. Shipping is outrageous. I was looking at a Ingersoll Rand 80 gal two stage, it is on sale at Tractor Supply for 999. I need to do just a bit more research.
Do you have a Lowes near you? I bought mine from Lowes. They special order it. It sells for $1299. But you get on ebay and pay like $4 for a 10% off coupon. Then you use it on the compressor and get it for $1170 instead of $1300. Oh, and you buy the oil change/filter kit so that you get a free extended warranty. It is an absolutely awesome compressor.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Quincy-Compressor-60-Gallon-Electric-Air-Compressor/50073343

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Regarding sand blasting, you will need lots of air as you know and good trick is to install a few more air tanks, all sharing the same line. Cheap tanks can be found at auto wreckers or junk yards. Look for old propane tanks, the bigger the better. The more air capacity you have, once filled, the longer you can blast without the pressure and performance dwindling.

As far as used, depends what it is. A 50 yr old Gardner Denver compressor will still likely outlast anything new imo. I actually shop for used equipment because it's often better than new. Remember, years ago tools, equipment and Chevy TRUCKS were built to last. These days, things are built to elicit an emotion response and a sale.

I here ya, I wouldn't mind finding a great old Compressor, but around here people just throw them away, instead selling them, or rebuild them. I live in a small town in East Texas, lots of oil field money...

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Do you have a Lowes near you? I bought mine from Lowes. They special order it. It sells for $1299. But you get on ebay and pay like $4 for a 10% off coupon. Then you use it on the compressor and get it for $1170 instead of $1300. Oh, and you buy the oil change/filter kit so that you get a free extended warranty. It is an absolutely awesome compressor.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Quincy-Compressor-60-Gallon-Electric-Air-Compressor/50073343

Thanks I will look into this one. I just got called to work so I gotta go.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size