aftermarket radiator and electric fan options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You must be registered for see images attach
hey thanks for coming back at me so promptly...
Ok so I see your mill is high compression which adds power and ...heat.
I'm surprised your rad is 2 row, it looks thicker but that's what happens in photos.
Is this setup in use? I'm wondering if you have acid tested it in hot traffic.
I think I'll ok with my build, a 496 with close to 11.1 on propane. I have a 3 core rad 32" (thereabouts) wide and two 16" Spall fans
so I should have lots of cooling overkill. My engine builder rails on me all the time saying no way electric fans can cool a BBC.
I just want to know for certain how your setup works.
I need extra overkill insurance for this my rig as it is a camper and I'll be going deep and want to be sure I make it home.
Our backroads (logging roads, south central BC) are all uphill and it's over 30C up there from June 'till Sept.
I admire you for junkyardin it.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Heres a dual speed fan assembly I just built using a BMW dual temp switch and adapter.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nice setup.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
hey @gmachinz where'd you get the temp sensor adapter from?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I found them online with an 1/8" threaded bung-I drilled/tapped it for the correct thread size.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I found them online with an 1/8" threaded bung-I drilled/tapped it for the correct thread size.
Might wanna check out a VW dual speed temp sensor/fan switch. The use a bigger thread size but have a nice sized base for good heat saturation. Just a thought. The little Bimmer one is nice and clean looking with its smaller size.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The BMW switch is available in a 180/195 range-I think the VW is higher....but not 100% sure. Plus, the BMW pigtails/connector is still available from dealers.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The BMW switch is available in a 180/195 range-I think the VW is higher....but not 100% sure. Plus, the BMW pigtails/connector is still available from dealers.
Cool. VW are right there too. I've used them in the past on e-fan set ups. Still trying to decide an a direction with my fan.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Heres a dual speed fan assembly I just built using a BMW dual temp switch and adapter.

Wait, why are you using the Volvo relay and 2 other relays?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
With the Volvo 2-speed relay I use a 70A rated relay as the main IGN control relay for it and the second relay is for AC override to high speed on the Volvo relay.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Update............

I installed the new Mishimoto Radiator and she's running cool. The temps have been highs around 80 so I haven't pushed her but I let her idle for 15 minutes and its running cooler. My guess is 185 but I'll pull the infared out when it hits 90 again. The radiator is $319 plus $16 for a generic installation bracket set. I paid $269 from Jegs because it was on sale but for 320 I'd probably get a cheaper radiator... don't get me wrong its beautiful and piece of artwork but unless I was towing I'd probably get a champion or similar for about 60% the cost.

I'm not going to worry about a fan unless I end up in Raleigh traffic often... did I mention that I ripped out the ac lol

I don't have a pic but Honkeykongjr above shows what it looks like somewhat... one of the reasons I picked this radiator was because I was hoping to use the original shroud and brackets its... it too tall and I should have double checked the specs...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Update............

I installed the new Mishimoto Radiator and she's running cool. The temps have been highs around 80 so I haven't pushed her but I let her idle for 15 minutes and its running cooler. My guess is 185 but I'll pull the infared out when it hits 90 again. The radiator is $319 plus $16 for a generic installation bracket set. I paid $269 from Jegs because it was on sale but for 320 I'd probably get a cheaper radiator... don't get me wrong its beautiful and piece of artwork but unless I was towing I'd probably get a champion or similar for about 60% the cost.

I'm not going to worry about a fan unless I end up in Raleigh traffic often... did I mention that I ripped out the ac lol

I don't have a pic but Honkeykongjr above shows what it looks like somewhat... one of the reasons I picked this radiator was because I was hoping to use the original shroud and brackets its... it too tall and I should have double checked the specs...
Mine is a Griffen for a Chevelle but I cut the hell out of the support to get it in to where the condenser was and so that fan worked with the big block. I have a Mishimoto but it's for a 6.4 powerstroke that I was gonna put it in the bed but didn't. They are nicely made radiators tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell