aftermarket radiator and electric fan options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums...F-98E4-47A6-ACB7-CF6785AAC62A_zpsizeybh5y.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up a cheapo infrared thermometer and checked different parts of the radiator and block. Temp has been cool around 74 and the truck definitely runs cooler in this weather. She runs at 210 on the gauge on the highway in warmer weather....

Even though it's el cheapo I think it is accurate with a conversion as in was showing 180 around the tstat. The fact that she runs hotter on the highway vs 40 mph leads me to believe that the radiator is the weak link...

I like the moshimoto or what ever I posted earlier for around $268. I'll continue looking but I think I'll do the radiator first and then a fan further down the road... right now I driver her around town and into the country so it's not often I get stuck in traffic in 90 degree weather. Does anyone have any feedback on the moshimoto?? It has good reviews online but I'm always skeptical lol . Cheers

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I agree on the aftermarket fans if that's what you're going to do, but many here have had real good luck with OEM factory fans. Like from Buick Rendevous, Pontiac Aztec, Ford Windstar etc. Find you a good one from a wrecking yard and install the proper thermostatic wiring and relay and you're set. I didn't see the pricing on the SPAL fans link you posted. :shrug: Certainly worth comparing costs for brand new vs wrecking yard used without warranty.

You just need to go a little deeper into the site. Fan catalog and then click on the part number to the left.
https://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_spal.htm

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I just ordered the moshimoto from Jegs for $268.75. It won't be here for 2 weeks but the truck drives fine, just a little warm when the temp is in the 90's. I'll test out the new radiator in hot weather and report back how she does. Looks like I might not be in NC till September so I'll keep an eye on the temp when its really hot and she if it also could benefit from an electric fan swap down the road...

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I really hope you checked the accuracy of your gauge and sending unit. highdesertranger

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
With the guage reading 180-190 in temperate weather the infared thermometer was reading right at 180 by the tstat. I didn't wait till 90 degree weather to double check the accuracy in hot weather but it is a safe assumption on a 30 year old stock radiator. I'll be moving to NC where the summers are long and hot and $266 seemed like a wise precaution.

My 72 Dart with a 360 does the same thing with a factory fan and radiator. It is fine driving around in 90 degree weather but goes up fairly quickly in 90+ plus weather and sitting in traffic.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
that is not how you check the accuracy of your gauge. the IR thermometer is going to read at least 10 cooler then the actual coolant temp. highdesertranger

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Keep in mind there are at least 3 radiator sizes for your truck.

I used a new Murray aluminum radiator from O'Reilly Auto Parts (the smallest one for my model year), along with a light duty fan clutch setup and a stock shroud. I'm also running a new AC Delco water pump. Here in our Texas summers, the coolant temp on my 350 rarely, if ever, exceeds 185 when driving or 200 at a long red light.

My point is you don't need $600+ worth of aftermarket radiator, fans, controller, relays and 100 amp alternator to keep your engine cool. Or deal with additional points of failure. The factory stuff worked just fine.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Keep in mind there are at least 3 radiator sizes for your truck.

I used a new Murray aluminum radiator from O'Reilly Auto Parts (the smallest one for my model year), along with a light duty fan clutch setup and a stock shroud. I'm also running a new AC Delco water pump. Here in our Texas summers, the coolant temp on my 350 rarely, if ever, exceeds 185 when driving or 200 at a long red light.

My point is you don't need $600+ worth of aftermarket radiator, fans, controller, relays and 100 amp alternator to keep your engine cool. Or deal with additional points of failure. The factory stuff worked just fine.
Who's doing that there is a plethora of low cost options just waiting to be plucked at yards. That's what this tread is all about. My fan cost me 10 bucks I like it so much I have 3 now and pulls more air then high priced fans. A controller doesn't have to cost a lot either. You can use a temp switch from any number of vehicles. Put it inline some where in the coolant stream connect it threw the ground circuit on a relay and your golden. If you have a 2 speed fan just use a dual temp switch and you can tie in your ac as well to run the fan when the ac is on. It's not hard when you just make a plan of attack.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Who's doing that there is a plethora of low cost options just eating to be plucked at yards. That's what this tread is all about. My fan cost me 10 bucks I like it so much I have 3 now and pulls more air then high priced fans. A controller doesn't have to cost a lot either. You can use a temp switch from any number of vehicles. Put it inline some where in the coolant stream connect it threw the ground circuit on a relay and your golden. If you have a 2 speed fan just use a dual temp switch and you can tie in your ac as well to run the fan when the ac is on. It's not hard when you just make a plan of attack.
Very well said..

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Who's doing that there is a plethora of low cost options just waiting to be plucked at yards. That's what this tread is all about. My fan cost me 10 bucks I like it so much I have 3 now and pulls more air then high priced fans.

How noisy are those fans, how much current do they draw, and what do the installations look like? I'm talking about junkyard parts, not brand new aftermarket stuff.

And has anyone here noticed an actual gas mileage increase or 0-60 acceleration times vs. standard duty fan clutch setup? Mine slips quite a bit when the engine is revved, so I doubt it robs much power or efficiency. That said, I know some HD fan clutches sound like a B-29 even when the truck is moving!

Here's my setup during installation:

You must be registered for see images

And when finished:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
How noisy are those fans, how much current do they draw, and what do the installations look like? I'm talking about junkyard parts, not brand new aftermarket stuff.

And has anyone here noticed an actual gas mileage increase or 0-60 acceleration times vs. standard duty fan clutch setup? Mine slips quite a bit when the engine is revved, so I doubt it robs much power or efficiency. That said, I know some HD fan clutches sound like a B-29 even when the truck is moving!

Here's my setup during installation:

And when finished:

The one I'm using isn't that loud not like i could hear it over my exhaust.lol high pulls like 40 amps. I'm gonna use furd starter solenoids. That's on a Griffin Chevelle radiator.
You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The one I'm using isn't that loud not like i could hear it over my exhaust.lol high pulls like 40 amps. I'm gonna use furd starter solenoids. That's on a Griffin Chevelle radiator.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the info Honkey. What is the fan and shroud from originally? Is this setup running currently? I'm wondering how well it works, especially with the BBC. Looks like a 3 core rad, is that correct? And what's the width please of that beautiful chunk of aluminum?
Is your engine stock?
Thanks again.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for the info Honkey. What is the fan and shroud from originally? Is this setup running currently? I'm wondering how well it works, especially with the BBC. Looks like a 3 core rad, is that correct? And what's the width please of that beautiful chunk of aluminum?
Is your engine stock?
Thanks again.
2002 Lincoln town car. It's a 2 row with 1.5" tubes. 10.5:1 comp with a chunky roller cam,ported big oval heads and port matched intake. The shroud fits this radiator like it was made for it I just had to recess the radiator to make it all fit.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
2002 Lincoln town car. It's a 2 row with 1.5" tubes. 10.5:1 comp with a chunky roller cam,ported big oval heads and port matched intake. The shroud fits this radiator like it was made for it I just had to recess the radiator to make it all fit.

hey thanks for coming back at me so promptly...
Ok so I see your mill is high compression which adds power and ...heat.
I'm surprised your rad is 2 row, it looks thicker but that's what happens in photos.
Is this setup in use? I'm wondering if you have acid tested it in hot traffic.
I think I'll ok with my build, a 496 with close to 11.1 on propane. I have a 3 core rad 32" (thereabouts) wide and two 16" Spall fans
so I should have lots of cooling overkill. My engine builder rails on me all the time saying no way electric fans can cool a BBC.
I just want to know for certain how your setup works.
I need extra overkill insurance for this my rig as it is a camper and I'll be going deep and want to be sure I make it home.
Our backroads (logging roads, south central BC) are all uphill and it's over 30C up there from June 'till Sept.
I admire you for junkyardin it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
hey thanks for coming back at me so promptly...
Ok so I see your mill is high compression which adds power and ...heat.
I'm surprised your rad is 2 row, it looks thicker but that's what happens in photos.
Is this setup in use? I'm wondering if you have acid tested it in hot traffic.
I think I'll ok with my build, a 496 with close to 11.1 on propane. I have a 3 core rad 32" (thereabouts) wide and two 16" Spall fans
so I should have lots of cooling overkill. My engine builder rails on me all the time saying no way electric fans can cool a BBC.
I just want to know for certain how your setup works.
I need extra overkill insurance for this my rig as it is a camper and I'll be going deep and want to be sure I make it home.
Our backroads (logging roads, south central BC) are all uphill and it's over 30C up there from June 'till Sept.
I admire you for junkyardin it.
Normal rows in a radiator are3/8" to 3/4" yours are probably thats 3x3/8=1 1/8 to 3 x3/4" =2 1/4" min has 2 rows of 1 1/2=3" it was a direct fit for a BBC manual 67 Chevelle. When I sold the car it went as a roller I kept all drive line components. This was is not really a daily driver more of a mud toy that I can also drive on the street. The radiator kept the Chevelle cool with a widow maker flex fan and no shroud. But the engine was upgraded since it was in that car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406