AC to AC delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JIMs86K5

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My 83 K20 does not have AC or heat, the PO removed everything under the hood and blanked the firewall off with a sheet of aluminum. Under the dash everything is still there, including the AC heater core, except for some of the duct work and vacuum lines. I recently bought an 86 cab and took all the AC and heater stuff off of it. Has anybody converted the under hood piece over to sort of an AC delete? I was going to look into doing this. I figure i can piece together what i have and see what I can cut away and then fiberglass in the resulting hole. Any pics would be great. Thanks,

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
A/Cdelete.com has the piece you need for the firewall to install your fan and be able to use your heater.

JIMs86K5

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have seen similar, $185 shipped. Here's what I made so far:

Attachments

• AC delete test pieces 2.jpg
    AC delete test pieces 2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 331
  • AC delete 2.jpg
    AC delete 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 357
  • AC delete fit up.jpg
    AC delete fit up.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 379
  • AC delete fit up 2.jpg
    AC delete fit up 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 903

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Please clarify what you want your final result to be.

At first it seems that you mean that:

1. You intend to leave the 83 as heat only,

2. Leave the cab side of the air handler as it currently exists and

3. Try to adapt the salvaged blower/evap housing, such that it can mount on the engine side of the FW and supply the inner cab components of the air handler.

That would not be feasible without modifying the firewall penetrations. The heat passage would need to be blanked (well I guess it already is) and a new opening - that lines up with the evap outlet - would need to be cut. Heater hose openings are also in different locations. Finally, the cab side of the air handler would have to be converted to the AC version so that the fan could discharge into it.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

But I suppose it could done.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
The PO of my 86 did almost the same thing your doing to mine. He cut that section off just like you did, then he cut a custom piece of 3/4" plywood to fit in the hole flush, used screws all the way around the housing into the plywood to hold it in place, then cut a sheet of aluminum to plate over the plywood flush with the edge of the housing, siliconed behind it and screwed that to the plywood. Seems to work okay, my AC dash vents still give me non heater core air in the summer, but no where near enough cool air once it's over 80 degrees outside, so down with the windows.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990