AC lines standard/metric

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Generally when there are notches on the fittings it is an indication of them being metric. I am going to evacuate system for verification next week to verify but wondering if anybody has confirmation that up to 91 GM did use all standard fittings in ac lines. My lines have notches, but I believe it should have standard threads and so does one of the ac places I have called.

In short, I was going to order some adapters so I can have minimal down time, but these notches threw me off. Changes my down time by few days just to verify the thread size.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I don't know the answer for a '91 Sub, but for older vehicles with O-ring fittings, the sizes are SAE. However, this is usually how they are listed.
#12 - 3/4"
#10 - 5/8"
#8 - 1/2"
#6 - 3/8"
So when you research something like a condenser or compressor it will be listed as having a #8 and a #10 fitting size.

Bruce

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That is what my understanding was, but sometimes metric threada are used and the guys making hoses always identify those fittings due to the notches. My hoses have them, which created confusion. I went ahead with ordering sae adapter as the drier also states sae fittings.

I don't know the answer for a '91 Sub, but for older vehicles with O-ring fittings, the sizes are SAE. However, this is usually how they are listed.
#12 - 3/4"
#10 - 5/8"
#8 - 1/2"
#6 - 3/8"
So when you research something like a condenser or compressor it will be listed as having a #8 and a #10 fitting size.

Bruce

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I thought the notches were simply to prevent thread galling?

Eh, nevermind. I overlooked the picture.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Verified to be standard thread. Do not know why this set of hoses has metric indicators.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128