a/c install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kramer02

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
so i have a 87 custom deluxe with no a/c. and i was able to take everything off a 85 scottsdale from transmission,wiring harness, all a/c and heater boxes ,compressor, you name it. i assume all of that will just bolt up to my 87? i haven't tried yet, just want to get some input first. thanks!:cheers:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Did the 87 come with A/C installed but is has since been removed?

If that is the case: then yes, everything associated with the HVAC system will drop right in.

If not, ah - no it definitely won't be a drop-in change over. There are some significant differences between the Heat only/AC air handling systems and the way they are integrated with the body of the cab. The biggest issue is in the configuration/location of the firewall penetrations. It can be done (I have done this modification 3 times. I have gotten better at it, but the first time was like a circus act gone bad.)

As far as the wiring harnesses, the chassis electrical and cab electrical systems will be very similar, so you can probably use most of those harnesses.

The engine electrical is another story. Unless your 87 is a rare exception and it somehow came with a carbureted fuel system - it is almost certainly equipped with a TBI system. Given that TBI wasn't available for the light truck line until 1987 - the donor truck will have the standard 350 engine harness. It will probably be useless to you.

The non-engine stuff in the engine compartment (i.e. exterior lighting, horns, etc.) will match up well.

The transmission should be able to bolt up to your 350 - but I really don't know much about that. I tend to leave things alone as long as they are working properly.

Good luck.

Kramer02

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
my 87 did not come with a/c so after looking at it you are right, the heater core and blower fan locations certainly are not in the same locations. the 87 is a tbi also and the donor was carbureted.. i guess i will have to see if i want to get that deep into it. thank you for your reply.:cheers:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes