a/c in a non a/c truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I wanted to bump this thread instead of making a new one. A guy I know has a couple of factory ac trucks sitting in the woods. I’m looking at putting factory ac in my non ac truck. So I see the firewall mods needed, I was wondering about the wiring. How much is different between the 2? Compressor wiring obviously, what is different inside the cab? What about the solenoid that controls the idle? Finally and most important, is it WORTH the effort to put factory in? He told me I can have everything for free as long as I remove it, the only thing that isn’t there is the compressor. All Input is welcome.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lotso Labor but it can be done. Cab difference as far I know is just the cut out on the firewall. So you'll probably want to cut out that section of firewall on his truck and tack it in on your truck. The openings are in a tad different location, and different sizes. Many guys do it when they eliminate AC to have a clean engine compartment.

You could always price a Vintage Air Under Dash kit and see what all you'll lose by going that route. There's a guy on here right now that is removing aftermarket air from his truck just leaving the OEM factory heat and defrost.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yea that guy was me lol. I was not happy with the fit and appearance of the aftermarket air, so I removed it on Saturday and came across all the factory stuff just yesterday. It had always been in the back of my mind to put factory stuff in but I figured I’d never be able to find everything. Lo and behold now I have access to everything.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yea that guy was me lol. I was not happy with the fit and appearance of the aftermarket air, so I removed it on Saturday and came across all the factory stuff just yesterday. It had always been in the back of my mind to put factory stuff in but I figured I’d never be able to find everything. Lo and behold now I have access to everything.

What are you doing with the aftermarket air? The down side to factory air is all the work, the inefficient compressors, the fact the system have been sitting for decades and probably need everything replaced compressor, condenser, evap, seals, blower motor.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I would probably be willing to sell the aftermarket system. Would all that need to be replaced? I figured a new compressor and hoses, and I’d be ready to go.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size

What kit did you have and what didnt you like about it?

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I installed vintage air system on mine and like it
Firewall is clean , and inside the cab looks the same as stock
Uses stock vents and the control panel is almost identical to the stock one

An old system that’s been exposed to the weather for many years will give you lots of problems

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I would probably be willing to sell the aftermarket system. Would all that need to be replaced? I figured a new compressor and hoses, and I’d be ready to go.

along with evaporator, condenser, orifice tube. The older system wasnt as effecient, plus who knows if it leaks/ has remnants of r12 in it, if there are any leaks you could have dust/dirt or worse if larger. Might be interested in the aftermarket air depending on price/shipping.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I installed vintage air system on mine and like it
Firewall is clean , and inside the cab looks the same as stock
Uses stock vents and the control panel is almost identical to the stock one

An old system that’s been exposed to the weather for many years will give you lots of problems

Good to hear, I have a VA kit patiently waiting to go on mine now.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I don’t know what kit it was, dad had it installed immediately after he bought it new in 78. The vents look cheap, we’re not really installed correctly and they cut a section out of my glove box that has always looked horrible. On top of that, the compressor is a York model 210 that looks like a giant wart on top of my 350. He also said that it never really worked all that well, even when new. I didn’t like the way the controls look either.

Now contrast that with the nice looking factory vents, that are aluminum colored, and the clean looking all in one factory controls, plus a better looking compressor set up, and that’s why i would like to go genuine GM. I’m a sucker for all original parts on a truck, because they were designed to fit. Just like Red Foreman bought Eric a delco eight track for the vista cruiser. Compatibility!

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
along with evaporator, condenser, orifice tube. The older system wasnt as effecient, plus who knows if it leaks/ has remnants of r12 in it, if there are any leaks you could have dust/dirt or worse if larger. Might be interested in the aftermarket air depending on price/shipping.
How involved is it to replace the evaporator, condenser and orifice tube?

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
See, I'm the other way. Previous owner started to scab a factory a/c unit into my truck before losing interest. So now I've got a "factory" a/c unit which NOTHING is functional on in my truck (no fan operation, power, harnesses, no vacuum pieces and incomplete setup) that I would love to rip out and just go back to a simple non a/c heat/defrost only system. I don't need a/c and don't want it, and the a/c box is taking room up where I would love to mount my MSD box and components. Yes, I know I will need to fill holes and whatnot to revert back to a heat only system, but I would like to have a "clean" and smooth firewall when it's all said and done.. Anyone want to trade me?! Lol

You must be registered for see images attach

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

It isn't very involved at all. There are I think 6 bolts to take out of the box on the firewall plus 2 more that attach it to the fire wall. It splits in half basically. The orifice tube is inside the little line at the bottom of the A/c box. you just have to separate them and either purchase the removal tool or use a good needle nose pliers to remove it. For the condenser just have to take radiator shroud off and remove the brackets at the top of radiator and lean the radiator forward enough to lift the condenser out. I was able to do the removal of the whole system in one piece when I did mine.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
condenser is the radiator looking thing in from of the actual radiator, you determine how har it is to get out, evap is the can on the firewall, if it doesnt screw together at the evap the ac box will have to come apart to find them. Orifice tube is a filter in one of the line on the low pressure side (I think) a manual will tell you where it is. I would look at doing the serpentine belt swap also as it gives you factory mounting locations and correct ish looking compressor, you can alos use the lines from the 88-91 burbans,blazers/crew cabs.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good to hear, I have a VA kit patiently waiting to go on mine now.
You will have to install it twice

There is no way to line up all the holes and bolts and spacers and and brackets on the under dash unit

No clue how the VA designers thought you could actually do this

Leave the bracket a little loose
Install the firewall bolts and leave them loose
And then try to tighten up the brackets and then the firewall bolts

Also we used rattle trap fat mat type insulation on the inside of the firewall and a new factory insulation blanket
And didn’t need the spacers that are supposed to be used on the firewall bolts

We have an LS engine so was a little more complicated for the hoses but it’s worked good so far
Although we have had to add some Freon
We have a small leak but haven’t tried to track it down yet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84