99 taco 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looks like you have the ball rolling. Hope it pays off.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Looks like you have the ball rolling. Hope it pays off.
Thanks.... Me too....

So in thinking I might not have a truck if they fail to deliver, I ran some truck style errands.... Got an exercize bike for my girlfriend, and picked up a heavy bag and supplies to make a homemade kickboxing stand, which came out great... Like this

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The truck ran so good, it was bittersweet... Still lil loose steering and susp wise, and e brake light stays on still when not engaged, but strong...

I got a response from better buisness bureau... We shall see.... Once again, they guy down there a the dealer,says a bad attitude gets you nowhere, and all of a sudden I get a response after 3 months....
You must be registered for see images attach

I hate being a cut throat ******* sometimes, but am always in disbelief over how it seems to get results...
So bottom line is either I get my title sat the 23rd, or wait for dmv investigations unit/ possibly call lawyer back monday for full refund as I wont be playing any more games with this dealership.... I wont put anymore labor/parts into her until I know for sure either way

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Best result would be to just get your registration paperwork and be done once in for all. I'd give them til the 23rd like they responded with. Strange that being a Saturday though.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Just read this whole thread. After working 5 yrs at the DMV main thing I've learned is don't spend a dime on a vehicle till you have the title in your name. Here in WV most disputes can be settled by the DMV dealers department. If that fails the state Attorney General's office is greatly helpful. Beyond that, I learned some tricks with the DMV Special Titling department, certain forms, notarized letter of explanation, all supporting documentation, and it all gets reviewed by the Director of Vehicle Services. If he's in a good mood he would send a certified letter to the dealer demanding compliance within 10 days or they would be surpassed and title issued. Seen many settled this way but it's usually the last resort before Circuit Court.

I've owned 2 Tacos over the years, a 95 and a 2001 and Toyota bought them both back from me for 150% of the bluebook value because of a recall over bad frames.

My 95 I bought for $4,200 and had to put ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes and other miscellaneous parts on it. The bedside got whacked at some point in it's life, and removing the bedliner I saw someone had cut a giant hole inside the bed so they could knock the dent out. I fabbed a piece of metal and welded/sealed it in and painted it to match. I worked on the a/c system putting over $700 worth of new parts in it and got it working great. It had the 2.7L/5-speed and it really broke my heart to let it go but when it went I kept ALL the a/c parts lol and still have them if anyone needs any.

Regardless, they gave me a whopping $7,500 for the truck when the frame failed inspection. They basically put it on a lift and hit the frame with a ball peen hammer every 6". The hammer went through in a couple places which shocked me, the frame looked flawless every time I was under it working on it. Japan sourced Chines high-sulfur steel for these trucks' frames from 1995-2002 for many of them.

I had found another Taco I just couldn't refuse. 2002 with the 3L V-6/auto trans, and all the goodies you can imagine including e-locker for $7,000 which left me a little for tax/title/tag transfer.

I got rid of the step-bars quickly, they were showing rust and getting the back of the wife's pant legs dirty every time she got in/out. I also ditched the light covers very soon, after a close call where someone couldn't see my brake lights that well, and couldn't hardly see to drive one evening lol. The PO was a fireman and it had an under-chassis red light kit and a blue strobe light bar set up in the back of the cab. Pulled all of it and sold it as well very soon after getting it. It had an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start system installed, and I put a doorjamb switch on the tailgate, and a power tailgate lock and tied them into the alarm/keyless entry. I friggin loved this truck. I worked it for several years pulling trailer, hauling and racking up around 20k miles when I got a letter for it to be inspected for the frame. I thought as nice as it was they would put a new frame under it as they have done others but they didn't, they gave me a check for $11,950 and actually told me they would not honor any more recalled Tacomas I would purchase after this one lol. I was like WTF I wouldn't put all those miles and years into it if I were looking to turn a profit. None the less they said no more, so I bought a GMC Sierra SLT and never looked back.

Sold the step bars immediately and have put over 50k on it and worked it thoroughly. Sometimes I get sentimental and think about getting another Taco but honestly they don't have that great of fuel economy over the Sierra, and half the cab room/hauling capacity.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread but I hope you can get it resolved, and I hope yours isn't one of many with the bad frames. The recall has lapsed now and no more are being bought back. If worse comes to worse maybe your state's AG office can force the buyback if they knowingly sold it with a bad frame if that's the case. Good luck!

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Best result would be to just get your registration paperwork and be done once in for all. I'd give them til the 23rd like they responded with. Strange that being a Saturday though.

Yeah....sat was iffy, but I got em today

Just read this whole thread. After working 5 yrs at the DMV main thing I've learned is don't spend a dime on a vehicle till you have the title in your name. Here in WV most disputes can be settled by the DMV dealers department. If that fails the state Attorney General's office is greatly helpful. Beyond that, I learned some tricks with the DMV Special Titling department, certain forms, notarized letter of explanation, all supporting documentation, and it all gets reviewed by the Director of Vehicle Services. If he's in a good mood he would send a certified letter to the dealer demanding compliance within 10 days or they would be surpassed and title issued. Seen many settled this way but it's usually the last resort before Circuit Court.

I've owned 2 Tacos over the years, a 95 and a 2001 and Toyota bought them both back from me for 150% of the bluebook value because of a recall over bad frames.

My 95 I bought for $4,200 and had to put ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes and other miscellaneous parts on it. The bedside got whacked at some point in it's life, and removing the bedliner I saw someone had cut a giant hole inside the bed so they could knock the dent out. I fabbed a piece of metal and welded/sealed it in and painted it to match. I worked on the a/c system putting over $700 worth of new parts in it and got it working great. It had the 2.7L/5-speed and it really broke my heart to let it go but when it went I kept ALL the a/c parts lol and still have them if anyone needs any.

Regardless, they gave me a whopping $7,500 for the truck when the frame failed inspection. They basically put it on a lift and hit the frame with a ball peen hammer every 6". The hammer went through in a couple places which shocked me, the frame looked flawless every time I was under it working on it. Japan sourced Chines high-sulfur steel for these trucks' frames from 1995-2002 for many of them.

I had found another Taco I just couldn't refuse. 2002 with the 3L V-6/auto trans, and all the goodies you can imagine including e-locker for $7,000 which left me a little for tax/title/tag transfer.

I got rid of the step-bars quickly, they were showing rust and getting the back of the wife's pant legs dirty every time she got in/out. I also ditched the light covers very soon, after a close call where someone couldn't see my brake lights that well, and couldn't hardly see to drive one evening lol. The PO was a fireman and it had an under-chassis red light kit and a blue strobe light bar set up in the back of the cab. Pulled all of it and sold it as well very soon after getting it. It had an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start system installed, and I put a doorjamb switch on the tailgate, and a power tailgate lock and tied them into the alarm/keyless entry. I friggin loved this truck. I worked it for several years pulling trailer, hauling and racking up around 20k miles when I got a letter for it to be inspected for the frame. I thought as nice as it was they would put a new frame under it as they have done others but they didn't, they gave me a check for $11,950 and actually told me they would not honor any more recalled Tacomas I would purchase after this one lol. I was like WTF I wouldn't put all those miles and years into it if I were looking to turn a profit. None the less they said no more, so I bought a GMC Sierra SLT and never looked back.

Sold the step bars immediately and have put over 50k on it and worked it thoroughly. Sometimes I get sentimental and think about getting another Taco but honestly they don't have that great of fuel economy over the Sierra, and half the cab room/hauling capacity.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread but I hope you can get it resolved, and I hope yours isn't one of many with the bad frames. The recall has lapsed now and no more are being bought back. If worse comes to worse maybe your state's AG office can force the buyback if they knowingly sold it with a bad frame if that's the case. Good luck!

Nice trucks.

So it six it came to all that, but got tags and plates today. I havent checked the frame for rust, nor ran carfax. Hopefully it's a ca car...

I would take the 80s toyota jump for joy but cant selfie it

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Today did the inside of my dd prius, my girls saturn(hers got a eash too), and my truck....

Found out the ebrake light on issues was the comtact to tue switch was above it so I adjusted it, and light has stayed off....

Imagine the silver peg tjat pushes the buttons contact down askew sitting up ny plastic piece wedged behind and above contact so even though brake was off, light was on.... So no more dash light.... Now just susp and steering rack stuff, then mods as $$$ allows...

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Back from the dead.....

So she has been sitting mostly due to three issues:
1) steering rack had a notch point in lock to lock which will need new assembly including rack inner/outer tie rods roughly $300 1a auto

2) lower ball joints are bad and I yave seen tacos on the side of road where wwhile A arm collapsed....

3) charging issue with dead battery

And while it stalled for all this time some type of slight timing belt, pully oil leak....

But I got the dmv renewal form needing smog and paid $170 reg...

So I put in an alternator from db electrical for $70ish

And bought battery and went to toyota wrecker for battery hold down $35 to replace the prev owners bungie cord...
Quick sand n spray black...

I found one of the grounds near negative batt cable was missing, so fixed that...fires right up now...

As money pours...welll drips in... I plan to fix the other stuff.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Get it together.

I guess you've long gotten rid of Project F smog by now huh???

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Got the saturn sold and chevy towed.
Now that I got my garage back, did some suspension work on the taco.

One inch shackle lift

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Had to cut tailpipe down.

Making a mess

The old upper ball joint

Daystar Spacer for 1" plus new McPherson struts. I cut the threads down with a cut off wheel because the back two are wrench only. Ball joint out.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap

Still have to R&R lower ball joint. R&R Passengers upper and lower joint.

I have new sway bar end links on order because I didn't realize how brittle the bushings had become. Also another replacement upper ball joint as one I attempted to install's boot had got destroyed pressing it in, so I ended up taking the other replacement ball joint apart and then reassembled once pressed in. Now I'm one down. Will arrive monday.
She will eventually need an alignment, but I plan on doing the steering rack ( I have inner and outter tie rod ends waiting as well) when I get the funds for one. I don't want to align twice so she may sit like this till the whole job is done, but she should handle much better than before when all is said and done, and I'd rather take my time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did you get rid of the Chevy? I figured it was long gone already. I knew someone in Nor Cal that was looking for a Square project.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Chevy's gone....

Got some more work in today...

Got lower ball joints and sway endlinks out

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
So got the struts/ spacers in...

upper ball joint driver side...

Lower ball joint both sides...

Got inner and outter tie rod ends...

She's looking drunk

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Need to install pass side upper ball joint which come's tomorrow....
Install new sway end links which also come's tomorrow....
Then do the inner/ outer tie rod ends next time I'm off and get an alignment to see how much improved she is after all of this because she was quite wallowy before...

I just found about about a tundra disc brake caliper/ rotor upgrade that is interesting....wonder how much partsll be

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128