99' Chevy Lumina

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If doing intake repairs clean the EGR passage, common problem that will turn on the SES light.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It's a small port 3100. The stock coils on them are pretty dang good. I'm betting if he pulls them, one or two of them may have some small cracks in the casing.
Hmm i guess im not sure that 3.8 coils interchange or not but if they did itss still a cheap way to get ignition strength. But This is very true. HOw many miles he at? A rusty tower or a carbon track or a wire that was loose and started to arc away the nub are pretty common
You must be registered for see images attach

This is from a ford but see the nub on both? Thge one on the left is zapped to hell all way around it. Ive seen that on 3800, the ignition is strong enough and those gaps at .060 can be spicy. not sure what 3.1 is for that tho

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Hmm i guess im not sure that 3.8 coils interchange or not but if they did itss still a cheap way to get ignition strength. But This is very true. HOw many miles he at? A rusty tower or a carbon track or a wire that was loose and started to arc away the nub are pretty common

This is from a ford but see the nub on both? Thge one on the left is zapped to hell all way around it. Ive seen that on 3800, the ignition is strong enough and those gaps at .060 can be spicy. not sure what 3.1 is for that tho

Presumably, nobody had ever changed the plug wires ..... or even plugs? 187k on the clock or so.

Some of them were eroded pretty badly.

Plus tired plug wires = increased resistance, thus....worn out coils.... and coil fade.

When I changed the plugs and wires, the fading drastically stopped.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Some had as much of a .070" gap due to erosion.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That's what I understood, they do well as is, my friend(s) have all said about the same thing, the stock coils are pretty efficient as they are.

They have some small little 4 and 6 banger chevrolet gas sippers they've tuned on stock coils. 90's and early 2000's models stuff.

I have this issue I assume to be coil fade, where sometimes on HOT days, or alot of driving, I'll have a total loss of power under losd, and I have to throw it in neutral, key off, key back on, and it'll run right again.

It's occasional, but not very bad. I assume its the coils doing it.

Thats why we didn't push the envelope on total timing, I suspect what happens is, the coil drops in output a little, it pings, the KS sees it, it begins retarding timing, and then it just progressively gets worse and worse until I restart the ecm

We've yet to capture it on the live data on the laptop during a pull.

I have a little Bluetooth ELM327 plug for the OBD port, and an app on my phone, so I can monitor basic things like map, maf, load, spark advance, mpg, rpms, etc.

But I again, haven't captured that happening on anything I own, so I dunno for sure if it's coils fading. Probably is.

The egr and evap system is turned off.

Motor makes healthy vacuum, somewhere around 25-26 in/hg
The EGR is probably one of the things. you drive in a way to make heat and im not sure your cooling system health/thermostat but try dropping to 180 deg and then change nothing else. if you lower the occurance etc you may be looking at cylinder temps , underhood temps. also that ignition module, I would check the ground for it and if its original, toss an aftermarket under it, to see if it helps. If you get live data, pay attention to what cylinders see misfire

If when you startl ooking at live data and see misfires that happen like this(idk your firing order but on 3800 the ICM failing esp with rpm/heat is often 2 and5 will be misfirng. if you move the coil for example, it will stay there.

Got a pic of engine bay? Also if your TPS is original, replace it. There is a GM TSB out there 2003-04 or so and older cars, weird behavior driveability wise, just replace tps. the TPS if it drops out even momentarily, it can really throw your PCM through a loop
and it may be undetectable on obd2 data stream it can be that quick

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
So this thing when it was all said and done got a 51mm turbo. I took the stock X pipe and made a pipe off of it, and welded a T3 flange on it.

T04e turbo with a .52 exhaust housing. Thing spools super quick. It was all in the tune, also.

I got it spool as low as 1800 rpm, which was just above cruising speeds.
It was nice.

it ran on a walbro 255 in the tank, Siemens Deka 60 injectors , a AEM wideband thru the EGR circuit for monitoring fuel, and a modified, but stock P04 pcm. Turbo dumped thru stock exhaust with no cat. Internally gated at typically 8 psi.
if i changed fuem targets to make it spool sooner, it would build a little more boost.

one day while beating on it i guess the PCV mustve gotten stuck closed or something happened because the valve cover peed a little oil on the turbo housing and it caught fire. I put it out with the extinguisher i had, but it was too far toasted.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I had anti lag setup thru the pcm, and the only give away it was gonna blow your doors off was the hole in the bumper.

i race numerous other cars and whooped their ass. A lil 3000 sometbing pound sedan with soup bowl pistons is a badass mix to be running 89 octane (mid) in and turbo.

the only thing that sucked was intake temps hit 160° by 8 psi since it was non intercooled.. i planned to hit 15 -20 psi after it was intercooled, but she died too soon .

RIP the luminator.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
She never spark knocked but 1 time though, i guess i did good tuning it.

Running up a steep hill, on a 90 something degree day, in boost, i could hear the exhaust tinging at like 150° intake temps.

Those PCM's STOCK can withstand at least 5 psi without a tune.

You could literally turbo one, and the management would handle the rest for you.

But i advise the tune. I tuned mine really well, and it spooled and drove like a dream.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
@idahovette
@CoggedBelt75

You guys had asked about the lumina and something turbo charged. Lol heres one of them from this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64