95 tbi 454 in a 86 c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Controller would be around $600 new intake $300 new carb $300 tpms unit $175 dissy $60 gaskets $50 . That's like $1425 2 new fuel pumps my price $100 .I did the math save 1300 bucks . Mo money for other stuff to come.
Gotchya

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Buy the EP387 delco pump for the vortec trucks, it is supposed to fit and should you ever swap to the vortec intake it will support it. They are fairly cheap also.

Vaughn

Reaction score
First Name
Vaughn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
You should have a look at this guide for troubleshooting TBI systems.

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinfo/TroubleshootingTBISystems.pdf

The rpm changes you are seeing usually denote a vacuum leak of some kind, especially since the problems are at a lower rpm and disappear at higher rpms. Check the large potential vacuum leaks like the brake power booster and the pcv valve by blocking those items off with vacuum caps to test them, this will quickly tell you whether there is a problem with those items.

Check and reset the IAC valve. Replace the EGR valve if hasn't been replaced yet. A bad EGR will cause rough running at or near idle.

What is the current fuel pressure at the throttle body itself? Knowing the fuel pressure at the tanks is useful, but it doesn't help identify all the possible restrictions in the fuel system. Replace the fuel filter just forward of the tanks (if you used that part of the fuel system from the 95).

Changing the fuel pump is worth a shot, but unless the TBI is experiencing lean mixtures all of the time, it might not be the fuel pressure. 95 was a change over year, so your TBI may still use 14 psi, and is more likely to use the older system if you got the motor out of a 3/4 ton 95 vehicle.

Last edited:

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
A warning about buying ACDelco parts: the pumps are sold under the same part numbers through two different product lines, Professional and Advantage. The Professional is the real-deal quality part while the Advantage is chinese made low quality stuff to hit a price point for parts stores.

Professional is the matte finished cardboard box you know and love.

Advantage is glossy and shiny, and has the guarantee right on the box.

Do you know why they put the guarantee right on the box?

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I put 2 new pumps in today and now it runs right put it in gear and it will stay running and will idle up to compensate drove it around the block now when you stomp on the load peddle it will smoke the tires . So while the bed is off I put the air bags in and plumed them . so all in all I am happy as a pig in mud:big_banana_Dance:Thank youall for the help

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I put 2 new pumps in today and now it runs right put it in gear and it will stay running and will idle up to compensate drove it around the block now when you stomp on the load peddle it will smoke the tires . So while the bed is off I put the air bags in and plumed them . so all in all I am happy as a pig in mud:big_banana_Dance:Thank youall for the help
Wow that's a lot of dancing bananas! Glad your truck is running right. Smoke them babies off!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A warning about buying ACDelco parts: the pumps are sold under the same part numbers through two different product lines, Professional and Advantage. The Professional is the real-deal quality part while the Advantage is chinese made low quality stuff to hit a price point for parts stores.

Professional is the matte finished cardboard box you know and love.

Advantage is glossy and shiny, and has the guarantee right on the box.

Do you know why they put the guarantee right on the box?

You are killing me with this... Why is it on the box?!

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Yesterday I put a new to me speedo that I got from HotRod pc in my 86 and it didn't work . so today I pulled the dash apart found the wire marked speedo coming from the drac unit then found the other end in the gauge cluster plug used a ohm meter on the wire it was dead (DEAD) as hell . So I cut the wire 6 in from the plug and taped a new wire to it so I could pull a new wire threw the dash went to the pass side and started pulling the wire threw the dash. that is when I found out why my speedo didn't work. when the ass wipe was running the wiring threw the dash he did a good job on the splice at the plug but on the drac end he just tied a knot in the wire (what a ass jack) so new wire and spliced in the speedo now works . ( Before you ask I did all the wiring on my trucks) so I am the puck tard

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I also did the jeep upgrade on the truck took almost all the slope out of the steering

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena