89 Trans Am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Finally received the sweeps and window motor.
Added a bit of insulation on the door panel and all installed with new seals. Also started to glue the carpet pieces to the interior plastics.
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Continuing with the carpet covers and some sound insulation. Factory there is actually a decent amount of insulation on this one. Carpet is pretty much shot, but I am sticking with it. Also the trunk was leaking due to hatch coming apart. Started with removal of the poorly installed spoiler. It was a real hack job. Might have to use a hatch panel from a parts car. Spoiler less for now. Fixed a ground wire that was disconnected a long time ago going to a fuel pump, now the gasoline level not showing correctly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, those are some knarly holes.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am going to install a different hatch panel for temp use while working on fixing the original. Continuing, turned out I tapped to the wrong wire for extra fuel pump power, changed it to be correct. Found rust, cleaned, coated with rust converter and then sprayed with some paint. Need to find some good oil based rust proofing to coat on the inside. Rust appears to be from the hatch leaking.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Temp trunk installed. There were little spacers between lower panel and the glass/lid but wonder if there were supposed to go on the top between glass and the lid. It is sitting not level front to back. Will be ok for now, until I fix all the holes and cut up mess on the original. Used butyl tape from home depot for a seal. Maybe will paint it random red and throw a spoiler back on just so it would not stand out as much

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you have much trouble getting the panel separated from the glass. I've only tried that once and it didn't go well.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Did you have much trouble getting the panel separated from the glass. I've only tried that once and it didn't go well.
Peeled right off. My understanding is some people use urethane adhesives on them making it impossible to separate later. The good part would be that it would never move back due to struts, but a pain to separate. Blue one was siliconed at some point of time and came apart easy as well

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think every one of them I've had were urethane. Honestly I've never paid too much attention to them though. I also know of the theory of the struts pushing the hatch back on the glass. But mine that were pushed back, it has always been glass and all. The hinges can get a lot of slop in them.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Well, decided to pass on the catalina to continue focus on this one and the camaro. Started on filling extra holes. Driving around without a spoiler, I actually like the spoiler less look.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad about the Catalina but probably the smart move.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Working on cleaning up the inside and welding up the cuts on inside metal. Also paint prep

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Minor task, finally installed a new windshield washer container. Need to get some hoses to make it functional. Also spent few hours on hatch alignment. At least now I can adjust it correctly once I have the hatch lid painted. There is play in the hinges, but not causing the whole thing to slide back. Play is side to side and let's it twist when closing. In my case it is probably due to incorrectly adjusted latch that someone had messed with long before me. I had to move the latch almost 5mm for things to line up. You can see where it rubbed for years earlier on a side. I did elongated the single round hole for the hinges to allow easier adjustment.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Couple of fails today. I lost activator for primer during the recent move, so stil no primer coat on the deck. And the 4th gen condenser does not fit when using 3rd gen radiator. It would fit if I would get a 4th gen radiaotor. So instead I removed the intake(will be installing ls6 intake) and connected the heater hoses including a heater bypass valve. Wrong time of year but good access with intake out of the way. Fixed the lower radiator hose as well(was hitting idler arm before).There is a bit of oil coming from something behind the intake, not sure if it is from cover, oil sensor or cam sensor.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
All back together and deck is primed with a bit of sanding done. Going to do the oil change on the TA next. Ended up with ls6 intake, ls6 valley cover, new oil pressure sensor, new coolant hose routing, fixed heater core set up, new condenser for future AC and better routed air intake filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK