87 K10 5.3 SWAP HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
So i decided to go with a 5.3 swap out of a 2002 suburban to replace the 305 tbi i just pulled out of my 87. I have seen a lot of kits to change the placement of all the driveline accessories and it seems really expensive especially the Holley and Hooker engineered kits. is it necessary to re-locate the alternator, power steering pump and compressor? is there a way to avoid this and keep the original drive line setup on the 5.3?

Im not sure what is compatible with what and what all i will need to fab (hydraulic lines, A/C lines Etc..) trying to get everything lined up so this will not take longer than need be, due to being unprepared.. I unfortunately am not a mechanic by no means but i take a lot of interest in this stuff and hope to learn a lot during this build. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance!

-Lots more questions to come! All the knowledge or advice i can get is a plus so please flood this thread!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So i decided to go with a 5.3 swap out of a 2002 suburban to replace the 305 tbi i just pulled out of my 87. I have seen a lot of kits to change the placement of all the driveline accessories and it seems really expensive especially the Holley and Hooker engineered kits. is it necessary to re-locate the alternator, power steering pump and compressor? is there a way to avoid this and keep the original drive line setup on the 5.3?

Im not sure what is compatible with what and what all i will need to fab (hydraulic lines, A/C lines Etc..) trying to get everything lined up so this will not take longer than need be, due to being unprepared.. I unfortunately am not a mechanic by no means but i take a lot of interest in this stuff and hope to learn a lot during this build. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance!

-Lots more questions to come! All the knowledge or advice i can get is a plus so please flood this thread!
I think a lot of guys are using the Double Dingo mounts. Some one will be along shortly.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I think a lot of guys are using the Double Dingo mounts. Some one will be along shortly.
Yea when i was gonna do this in a 4x4 the only way to go was double dingo mounts everything other then the ac pump will fit. Most guys use a high mount ac kit to relocate the compressor up to the top of the engine

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Yea when i was gonna do this in a 4x4 the only way to go was double dingo mounts everything other then the ac pump will fit. Most guys use a high mount ac kit to relocate the compressor up to the top of the engine

so only need to retro fit the compressor? which i can do without for now.. no need to move the alternator and power steering pump?

-will my OEM hydraulic lines from steering box connect to the 5.3 power steering pump?

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
so only need to retro fit the compressor? which i can do without for now.. no need to move the alternator and power steering pump?

-will my OEM hydraulic lines from steering box connect to the 5.3 power steering pump?
No need to move the alternator or the power steering a lot of guys put their battery on the other side of engine bay like it was from the donor truck

. I cant remember 100 percent. You use the donor power steering pump and i think the line for your k10. Someone will know that has done the swap

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
No need to move the alternator or the power steering a lot of guys put their battery on the other side of engine bay like it was from the donor truck

. I cant remember 100 percent. You use the donor power steering pump and i think the line for your k10. Someone will know that has done the swap

Yea I'm sure someone has done this before. I'm looking at the dirty dango mounts and it looks like the compressor is on the serpentine belt, where as on the old SBC it had its own V belt. so im guessing i have to rectify the issue with the compressor to make this work.. having a hard time researching this one!

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yea I'm sure someone has done this before. I'm looking at the dirty dango mounts and it looks like the compressor is on the serpentine belt, where as on the old SBC it had its own V belt. so im guessing i have to rectify the issue with the compressor to make this work.. having a hard time researching this one!
The compressor has a separate belt. There should be lots of information this is a very comon swap!

Biggin0822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Power steering pump lines are flexible and can be moved enough to fit easily. I used the LSX Innovation mounts. I believe that they are virtually identical to the dirty dingo mounts. I watched this video and if you watch what holes he used and pay attention to the instructions it is super easy and driveshaft fits perfectly.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Power steering pump lines are flexible and can be moved enough to fit easily. I used the LSX Innovation mounts. I believe that they are virtually identical to the dirty dingo mounts. I watched this video and if you watch what holes he used and pay attention to the instructions it is super easy and driveshaft fits perfectly.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Awesome info thanks!

Biggin0822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I just "finished" my swap last week so it's still fresh in my mind.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
I just "finished" my swap last week so it's still fresh in my mind.

What did you do about your alternator and power steering brackets? Did you use the original brackets and accessories from your 5.3 or did you have to change that up? I’ve seen a lot of people relocate these and I’m not sure why...

Biggin0822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Mines a 6.0 but you don't have to move those brackets at all. Just use the stock brackets

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
haven't done mine yet. I've been told to take the fitting off your old/original power steering reservoir and put it on your new/5.3 one and install using your original p/s hoses. This way you don't have to get custom hoses.

As for A/C relocation....I think it was Summit that had a relocation bracket for around $100. I couldn't believe it at first, but sure enough peeps have used it.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
haven't done mine yet. I've been told to take the fitting off your old/original power steering reservoir and put it on your new/5.3 one and install using your original p/s hoses. This way you don't have to get custom hoses.

As for A/C relocation....I think it was Summit that had a relocation bracket for around $100. I couldn't believe it at first, but sure enough peeps have used it.

Cool thanks! I found a few relocation brackets for the compressor but I was under the impression that all the accessories were on the serpentine belt and thought everything had to be relocated in order for the belt to fit properly.

So alternator and p/s on serpentine and the compressor on its own belt and has to be relocated.

NEW QUESTION:
- do I need to get a new radiator??? My 87 does not have this steam vent that I have been seeing... or does this not apply to the 5.3? Not sure about which hoses will fit the 87 OEM radiator...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20