86 k10 is having a fuel issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sucretrou

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I have a k10 and the last owner rebuilt the top end New head cam timing chain gear lifter rocker arms push rods. 350 engine it's a 4 speed 465 transmission. So recently the truck started dying out on me. It'll stay alive and running as long as I continue to step on the gas. Once it idles it'll die out and won't wanna turn on again. Originally I thought it was a vapor lock issue so I re routed the fuel line and it didn't seem to be that. The old owner changed it from a mechanical to electric fuel pump. So then I wondered if it could be that, the fuel pump is very hot to the touch once the truck keeps running. Which I heard isnt supposed to happen. Yesterday I bought a fuel pressure tester kit, I cut off the thread end and left the hose. I plugged that up to the fuel line right after the filter and it was reading around 11 pounds on the gauge. I hear they are supposed to run at 15 or so. I figure I'll re route it again and check what it reads after the regulator. At one point I even disconnected the fuel line from the carburetor and slowly put fuel straight into there to see if it'd crank. It didn't turn on. I mean I'm not the best when it comes to working on engines so I'm still learning. The issue isn't too constant which confuses me. The other day it was doing it and dying as soon as I let go of the gas. Then eventually on one of the times I let go of the gas thinking it'd turn off but she went to idling perfectly and didn't turn off till I turned it off. So I'm very confused on this issue. If anyone could give me an idea of what it could be I'd truly appreciate it. Thanks.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
GM carburetors are only supposed to run on 5-6 psi. if you still have 11 coming out of the pump you're still getting plenty of fuel.

Sucretrou

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm not sure what specific piece it is but this is the pictures of it. I'm changing the fuel pump itself right now as we speak.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Junk Yard Dog

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That is an Edelbrock 1406. It's Probly due for a rebuild. The kit is less than 50.00$ The first time I ever rebuilt a carb was one of these and was fairly simple. Don't let it scare you.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd double check that there's spark when it won't start, but it sounds like a fuel problem to me. I'd either rebuild the Eddy or throw a Quadrajet on it (my preference).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54