86 K10 5.3 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lookin good. I picked up a 6.0 intake and throttle body with pretty much the upper harness. Don't know why but I got it if you need connectors let me know. It's a cable throttle body not DBW.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
got the coolant reservoir I got from the PNP soaking in Zep Purple. I'll let it go over night and go from there. Pretty rusty looking. Defiantly have to flush the engine before I install it.

Waiting for Bussmann weatherproof seals for the fuse block to come in. Hopefully have it tackled by end of the weekend.

Gonna take the speed sensor and trans adapter in to work and hopefully have it mounted tomorrow.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
got the coolant reservoir I got from the PNP soaking in Zep Purple. I'll let it go over night and go from there. Pretty rusty looking. Defiantly have to flush the engine before I install it.

Waiting for Bussmann weatherproof seals for the fuse block to come in. Hopefully have it tackled by end of the weekend.

Gonna take the speed sensor and trans adapter in to work and hopefully have it mounted tomorrow.
Dexcool sucks. When I got my 99 Tahoe first things I did was flush the coolant system and convert the CPI to MPI.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
CPI/MPI? Not following ya. Care to elaborate? Thx M8

[edit] bah......got it. central vs multiport injection. A thought ran through my head earlier. What if you had an "Air" injector as well as the fuel injector. You'd be able to control air flow to each cylinder with more precision (same as they did for fuel).

hmmm....out on a limb here, my post so I can. So if you truly vaporized gasoline so it would burn better, you could in fact use less air for the same ratio? This is something I thought of (just now) based on a few years of thoughts on the 200 MPG carb.....get it while you can. Saw one on ebay 2 yrs ago for $40......wish I'd bought it.

http://www.apparentlyapparel.com/uploads/5/3/5/6/5356442/200mpg-carb.pdf
lol anyway, back to the swap.

Last edited:

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
CPI/MPI? Not following ya. Care to elaborate? Thx M8

[edit] bah......got it. central vs multiport injection. A thought ran through my head earlier. What if you had an "Air" injector as well as the fuel injector. You'd be able to control air flow to each cylinder with more precision (same as they did for fuel).

hmmm....out on a limb here, my post so I can. So if you truly vaporized gasoline so it would burn better, you could in fact use less air for the same ratio? This is something I thought of (just now) based on a few years of thoughts on the 200 MPG carb.....get it while you can. Saw one on ebay 2 yrs ago for $40......wish I'd bought it.

lol anyway, back to the swap.

200 MPG carb. Ha. That's nothing. My brother has one that gets 1000 MPG. Disconnected fuel line and he pushes the car. Ha Ha Ha

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dexcool sucks. When I got my 99 Tahoe first things I did was flush the coolant system and convert the CPI to MPI.
Yep, Avoid the Orange ****. Biggest problem with it is, it loves loves loves to eat gaskets and it don't care which ones either. Most common for eating upper intake manifold gaskets on the V6's. Or at least helps play a part in bad design. All those damn 60 degree V6's should have been recalled but no didn't happen. Another GM problem that'll get swept under the rug for ever.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Yep, Avoid the Orange ****. Biggest problem with it is, it loves loves loves to eat gaskets and it don't care which ones either. Most common for eating upper intake manifold gaskets on the V6's. Or at least helps play a part in bad design. All those damn 60 degree V6's should have been recalled but no didn't happen. Another GM problem that'll get swept under the rug for ever.

Almost makes me miss doing side jobs. I made about $600/car doing LIM gaskets on those.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Almost makes me miss doing side jobs. I made about $600/car doing LIM gaskets on those.
You did the lowers too? I mean, that actually makes more sense. I often wondered how it can be blamed on Uppers. I just know it's a common problem and an expensive one. Just about everyone I know with a 3.4 had to have them done 65,000 - 85,000 miles like clock work. And some 3.1's too but EVERY 3.4 I know of that friends had needed intake gaskets. I remember one guy who got a new/used Grand Am GT with Ram Air, he said, it hauls ass and only has 40,000 miles on it. :laughing1: I told him he should have gotten a 4cyl cuz he'll be hauling ass to the GM dealer to get intake gaskets done and overheating problems out the ass in about 30,000 miles. It was about a year and half later, he calls me up. "YOU MF'er, you jinxed my car. I got water in the oil, GM says I need intake gaskets" I asked how many miles were on it, he said 72,000. I missed it by 2000 miles. Dude has hated me since cuz I bagged on his POS. I told him, Grand Ams and PT Losers are the most towed cars. I mean lots of Taurus too and other models, but there's a **** ton of them sold. PT Loser by far is worse than the GA and Olds Alero, but still, they're pretty damn bad. JUNK.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You did the lowers too? I mean, that actually makes more sense. I often wondered how it can be blamed on Uppers. I just know it's a common problem and an expensive one. Just about everyone I know with a 3.4 had to have them done 65,000 - 85,000 miles like clock work. And some 3.1's too but EVERY 3.4 I know of that friends had needed intake gaskets. I remember one guy who got a new/used Grand Am GT with Ram Air, he said, it hauls ass and only has 40,000 miles on it. :laughing1: I told him he should have gotten a 4cyl cuz he'll be hauling ass to the GM dealer to get intake gaskets done and overheating problems out the ass in about 30,000 miles. It was about a year and half later, he calls me up. "YOU MF'er, you jinxed my car. I got water in the oil, GM says I need intake gaskets" I asked how many miles were on it, he said 72,000. I missed it by 2000 miles. Dude has hated me since cuz I bagged on his POS. I told him, Grand Ams and PT Losers are the most towed cars. I mean lots of Taurus too and other models, but there's a **** ton of them sold. PT Loser by far is worse than the GA and Olds Alero, but still, they're pretty damn bad. JUNK.

Lol. Back in '97 when I was married, I bought a '96 corsica with the 3.1 for her to drive, 16k miles iirc. At about the 70k mark, it started using coolant, dealer claimed they couldn't find the leak. It wasn't burning it, and wasn't leaking externally. At the time I was unaware of the intake gasket problems. When we split in '02 she took the car. During the time we were together, the oil got changed at 3k intervals. No exceptions. Apparently she wasn't as keen on keeping the oil changed as I was. Within a month ir two of the divorce, she managed to wash the bearings out and scrub the engine.

I lol'd

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lol. Back in '97 when I was married, I bought a '96 corsica for her to drive, 16k miles iirc. At about the 70k mark, it started using coolant, dealer claimed they couldn't find the leak. It wasn't burning it, and wasn't leaking externally. At the time I was unaware of the intake gasket problems. When we split in '02 she took the car. During the time we were together, the oil got changed at 3k intervals. No exceptions. Apparently she wasn't as keen on keeping the oil changed as I was. Within a month ir two of the divorce, she managed to wash the bearings out and scrub the engine.

I lol'd
Poetic justice......

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lol. Back in '97 when I was married, I bought a '96 corsica with the 3.1 for her to drive, 16k miles iirc. At about the 70k mark, it started using coolant, dealer claimed they couldn't find the leak. It wasn't burning it, and wasn't leaking externally. At the time I was unaware of the intake gasket problems. When we split in '02 she took the car. During the time we were together, the oil got changed at 3k intervals. No exceptions. Apparently she wasn't as keen on keeping the oil changed as I was. Within a month ir two of the divorce, she managed to wash the bearings out and scrub the engine.

I lol'd
Yup, Coolant doesn't make for good bearing lubricant.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yup, Coolant doesn't make for good bearing lubricant.
Oh but it cleans piston tops and cylinder walls nothing like a good steam cleaner built into your 3.1 lol.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Poetic justice......

When she called to tell me, I think my response was "bummer, the $100 s-10 I've been driving for the last 3 years is running fine".

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Can a good radiator shop put a return steam line in my existing radiator that is standard on this truck? I'm thinking thread it so it can be blocked off. I need it for the LS.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Can a good radiator shop put a return steam line in my existing radiator that is standard on this truck? I'm thinking thread it so it can be blocked off. I need it for the LS.
They should be able to braze one in unless it has plastic tanks.then maybe epoxy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat