85 SWB lowering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duner13

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
just looking for some quick advice on lowering my 85 SWB. Looking for a "hot rod" truck stance but not to low. Pretty close to the pic. Been looking at Belltech and DJM but do not know what length of drop to get. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
3 front 5 rear....using spindles and rear hangers, plus remove your overload springs from the leaf packs. You could "cheat" and cut a coil front the front oem coils (but if you want to do it right, opt for,the drop spindle ). Either way you will also need to get he front aligned afterwards.

Duner13

Reaction score
First Name
eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Will that still give me a little bit of a rake, front end a little lower than the rear, or will that make it level? Also preference between Bell Tech or DJM, or a different brand? Shock recommended or not needed? I really appreciate the help through this, just trying to do it right the first time.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Will that still give me a little bit of a rake, front end a little lower than the rear, or will that make it level? Also preference between Bell Tech or DJM, or a different brand? Shock recommended or not needed? I really appreciate the help through this, just trying to do it right the first time.

From the factory, if I am not mistaken, there is a 2 inch rake. I plan on doing 3/5 and it being even. So you would be looking at 3/4. Crown has a decently priced 3 inch drop spindle for the front and then piece a 4 inch drop on the back, which should just be a flip/hanger kit.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
That doesn't look too be lowered very much to me. Go with a 2.5" spindle an a shackle hanger setup for 4" in the rear. You can still run stock replacement shocks on that drop to.

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
As said above
2.5" Mcgaughy's drop spindles
Hanger kit for rear.
Should still have take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Dont use Crown parts , you definately get what you pay for. McGaughy's spindles while a little bit more, don't have issues with being cast wrong or holes not lining up. I started off with a 2-1/4 front and a 4 inch back drop...then progressed to being bagged front and rear. Start off small and you can make adjustments to you liking. Shackles in the back will not make a huge difference and you can always soften or drop a bit lower by removing leafs. With a spindle drop of 2.5-3 you can maintain stock shocks. With shackles in the back, yoh can also use stock shocks.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
From the factory, if I am not mistaken, there is a 2 inch rake. I plan on doing 3/5 and it being even. So you would be looking at 3/4. Crown has a decently priced 3 inch drop spindle for the front and then piece a 4 inch drop on the back, which should just be a flip/hanger kit.
Rear shackles of 3 inches plus will also require bed rails to be notched in most csses as well for travel clearance.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Rear shackles of 3 inches plus will also require bed rails to be notched in most csses as well for travel clearance.

I thought that it was lower than 4. I read somewhere, sometime someone was running 4 without notchings

Dont use Crown parts , you definately get what you pay for. McGaughy's spindles while a little bit more, don't have issues with being cast wrong or holes not lining up. I started off with a 2-1/4 front and a 4 inch back drop...then progressed to being bagged front and rear. Start off small and you can make adjustments to you liking. Shackles in the back will not make a huge difference and you can always soften or drop a bit lower by removing leafs. With a spindle drop of 2.5-3 you can maintain stock shocks. With shackles in the back, yoh can also use stock shocks.

There was a post not too far back where people were say Crown was ok to run... nothing like DJM.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size

Its never enough is it. I went 2.5/4 to a 5/7 to bagged and now I am scheming how to get those last 2" to get the crossmember on the ground.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Its never enough is it. I went 2.5/4 to a 5/7 to bagged and now I am scheming how to get those last 2" to get the crossmember on the ground.

.............bodydrop that sumbitch....lol

I too have about 1-1/2 inches to go til frame becomes one with the pavement.

Brent Butler

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
I used a Belltech 4/6 and didn't have to C-notch the rear. I did have to remove the factory bump stops. Here is pic, no weight on the
front yet but give you an idea on the rear with 20's.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Your ride will improve with a mini notch...all it takes is one good rolling dip, and you'll see. Back before I bagged my squarebody (1984). I installed a mini notch and it made for more clearance and a better ride. Some peeps don't bother to add one, but if you ever use the bed of your truck it comes in handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara