83' K1500 power plant build help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Gen III (LS):

You’ll have to have an electric fuel pump and a regulator to run a carb using a decent in-tank pump that’ll have some longevity to it. If you did that, you’d need to convert to a 1987 fuel tank because that one has the baffling for an in-tank pump. There’s no cam eccentric for a mech. pump, and your only option that I know of would be to do a belt driven pump which would take away your A/C compressor. You can run your Quadrajet on an LS, but you’d need an ignition control box since there’s no distributor on those. You could get a distributor kit, but I think you’d still need the control box. The only thing that you’d gain with that is having one ignition coil instead of 8. I’m not 100% on the last part, but someone can check me. I don’t say this to stand against the people who love these motors, but this stuff is why I don’t like them. You can do a somewhat old school setup with those, but it’s gonna cost you more money to do that than the factory setup.

Gen I Vortec:

Vortec is just called that because of the heads. The Edelbrock 2116 is an a Vortec spread bore intake. The GMPP intake I mentioned in my initial post is for TBI Vortec conversions. That one is crazy expensive, but the Edelbrock one is not bad. If you run an 86 or older block, you’ll have your mechanical pump. If you find an M Code 350 or just an M block, those were carbureted until 1988, but I doubt there’s an SBC newer that will have a spot for your pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

To carb swap the ls just increases the cost and imho reduces the benefit of the LS by removing the fuel injection.

I thought the fuel pump boss was continued till 95 when they switched to the vortec.

Dutch724

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For the sake of easier and cheaper I think going with a pre-86 block would be a way to go. I would like to make this engine swap as easy as possible but still get the Hp that I would like to have out of the motor. I think LS motor would be the way to go if I had the time and money to modify from the gas tanks all to the way to the wiring. thank you for the help in figuring this out.

Is it possible to get 350 hp and maybe 360 torque (just throwing out torque numbers) out of a 350 block and still keep it on 87 octane on a vortec setup?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
To carb swap the ls just increases the cost and imho reduces the benefit of the LS by removing the fuel injection.

I thought the fuel pump boss was continued till 95 when they switched to the vortec.

I didn’t know they went that long. I stand corrected. My ‘87 doesn’t have one so I’m assuming they tapered back on blocks with that provision?

Last edited:

Rooster336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
here's my .02, I wanted to keep it stock looking under the hood, but you can definitely achieve what you want power wise the cheapest with an LS swap. it's definitely more work and planning though.

if you don't want to do an LS swap, you'd be hard pressed to rebuild anything cheaper than what I got. it's a vortec long block from gm (L31-r), not rebuilt. I paid $1900 from summit, although they have it listed for $2070...I price matched. when I called local machinists, they were far more to rebuild what I had in the truck and their rebuilt long blocks were much more expensive as well. rebuilding makes sense if you can get a smoking deal on the machine work or if its a numbers matching vehicle. otherwise, it's not economically feasible.

with the l31-r vortec long block you get the benefit of the vortec head and roller setup. however, you'd still need an electric fuel pump, because the block isn't machined for a mechanical pump. you'd also need a new intake manifold for vortec heads, melonized gear for your distributor and maybe some reworking of your accessory mounts. I just bought a whole serpentine setup from craigslist for $100. I got the two brackets, accessories(water pump, power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor, etc), oem intake manifold, oem vortec injection, oem distributor....basically everything but the long block. depending on what emissions equipment you have to run in your locality, you could end up with 260hp or much more if it's not choked down. I'm guessing you could get them to 325hp/400tq without any emissions stuff and proper carb/timing tune pretty easy.

as for the fuel pump...like others have suggested, I went with oem 87 tank and a high pressure oem pump for my efi. to run a carb setup you can do the same minus the high pressure pump. or you can frame mount an inline external pump with your current tanks. I know people will say they won't last as long, which is true, but I had a cheap inline one from Napa for years without issue. you'll likely need an inline pressure regulator too. most inline pumps put out 7-9psi. you want around 5.5 for most carbs. buy an inline fuel pressure gauge if you go this route and triple check your float adjustments.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I've been asking this guy about his LS swap - friendly enough for a random I guy I cold called off his ad. Might be helpful to you.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-chevy-k10-ls-swap/6453834546.html

Also called this guy about his 454 swap but he didn't do the work so less knowledgeable.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/81-chevy-kbig-block/6477693441.html

Swapping in a 454 is not new.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=624452&page=8

Dutch724

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow some really good info here thanks. I found a 6.0 ls motor on craigslist but the $5000 price range was out of my budget.
So with the LS swap would I be able to chip it to get more HP if I wanted too? I imagine I would need to have a full wiring kit and brain and all for the swap to work?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I’d say big block oh wait I always say that.:D

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Wow some really good info here thanks. I found a 6.0 ls motor on craigslist but the $5000 price range was out of my budget.
So with the LS swap would I be able to chip it to get more HP if I wanted too? I imagine I would need to have a full wiring kit and brain and all for the swap to work?

Thats ridicolous price. 12-1600 with a tranny, is common price here for one with less than 200k

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thats ridicolous price. 12-1600 with a tranny, is common price here for one with less than 200k
A friend of mine had a 2015 6.0 and 6L80 with 5 miles on it. Sold it for 5K to another friend of mine and he was happy to pay it. Lol

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
A friend of mine had a 2015 6.0 and 6L80 with 5 miles on it. Sold it for 5K to another friend of mine and he was happy to pay it. Lol

Thats a different story.... wait shouldnt that have been an LT1 at that point?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thats a different story.... wait shouldnt that have been an LT1 at that point?
It’s me maybe it was 2014. It came out of a van that fell off a train there was a few of them.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
i can already hear honky cong groaning, but forget about hp numbers and concentrete on torque. find an un bored 400 sbc,build it stock (dished pistons) or flat tops using mid grade gas. rv cam and your choice if carb. you should be able to do this soup to nuts for around $2,000. all the power you need for that truck. .030 over is no problem as well

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
For the sake of easier and cheaper I think going with a pre-86 block would be a way to go. I would like to make this engine swap as easy as possible but still get the Hp that I would like to have out of the motor. I think LS motor would be the way to go if I had the time and money to modify from the gas tanks all to the way to the wiring. thank you for the help in figuring this out.

Is it possible to get 350 hp and maybe 360 torque (just throwing out torque numbers) out of a 350 block and still keep it on 87 octane on a vortec setup?

only thing needed for the LS dealing with the fuel is the 87 tanks with baffling for efi and a pump from the 96-99 vortec trucks. The factory regulator will be reused and a return line connected. Build it for torque and HP will follow, contact a Chris Straub for a cam the one he recommended for me he said should have been 400 tq 320 hp as I was looking for towing. I would have spent the money on his cam but was trying to do it cheap because Im not sure how long this engine/transmission will last.

Dutch724

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have been presented with an opportunity to buy a 97’ suburban with 350,000 miles on the engine. Needless to say it only runs on 6 cylinders but I think it has a 5.7 in it. The tranny is 7 yrs old since rebuilt. They say the truck always starts up and runs, runs slow but it runs. I have a chance to buy it for $500. My thought on the whole thing is it has an LS motor (correct me if I’m wrong), it has the tranny and all the wiring I would need to swap it into my 83’ k10. All I have to do is rebuild the motor and install it. Does that sound like a really good deal?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike