83 GMC Sierra power window motor replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmodelt

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Sierra
Engine Size
How hard is it to change the power window motor on a 83 GMC sierra? I haven't done much work on older model vehicles and i have heard some older models were spring loaded and could hurt you pretty bad if window isn't all the way down. Any help would be great.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Don't know about 83 but it only took 5 minutes to take the whole unit out of my 89 Burb(once I figured how to do it, lol)the regulators are spring loaded but before you take the motor off the regulator you put a bolt through the unit(mine already had the hole)to hold it, if there isn't one you have to drill one, that's what the service manual says anyways, then change the motor. Oh, and it comes out with the window up.

tmodelt

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Sierra
Engine Size
Ok so the regulator and motor all come out together? I have been trying to remove the motor in the door.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Way quicker if you don't care about the doors lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok so the regulator and motor all come out together? I have been trying to remove the motor in the door.
Yes, here's how I did it, first you need something to prop the window up, I used a piece of 1" PVC(because that's what I had handy)and jammed it at the back, then reach down and unplug the motor, remove two bolts and two nuts to release the mechanism, slide the unit back, there's a slot mid way in the upper track for the top front roller to drop out, then lift up and slide the unit back until the two rollers slide out of the tracks, then pull the unit out of that big hole, simple as can be, reverse for installation... Like I said this is in a 89, never did an earlier one maybe yours is different I don't know...

tmodelt

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Sierra
Engine Size
Thank you for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads