8.5 10 bolt Rebuild Components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SHOTROD81

Reaction score
First Name
DH
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
About ready to move on to the next stage of my 81 C10 project by regearing the rear end. I am hoping to get some recommendations based on my setup and your personal experience. As I have mentioned before, the current setup is a mismatched mess. 600hp 372 (dyno sheet attached), TH350 w/2800 stall, and a 2.56 8.5" 10 bolt with a mini-spool. I don't plan on drag racing on slicks, but I definitely want it to handle an occasional outburst. Looking for suggestions for posi type (Eaton, TrueTrac, D-Locker, etc...), ring/pinion manufacturers and ratios, axle shaft manufacturers and types, etc... Also, I see that there are small differences in axle shaft lengths (31 5/16" 31.375", and so on), so how do I know which is correct?

I have decided to not attempt this myself. What is a reasonable estimate for labor from a good shop? I got a ballbark estimate from a local shop of $525 for labor if I provide the parts, or $1800 drive-in/drive-out cleaned & painted if they provide the parts. Seems a little steep, but I'm used to doing everything myself so labor charges are somewhat foreign to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You guys have helped out a lot with all the problems I've had with this! Thank you for that.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
3.73 depending on tire size, but that's an all around good street gear.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I used an Eaton limited slip carrier and Richmond gears. Factory axles. Not very hard to install. I used the factory pinion shim and also side bearing shims. Backlash was right in spec and gear pattern was good. I called a local shop and the price was simular to yours. I supply the parts, but he told me there was no guarantee that it would not roar. So I decided to do it myself. Since then I've changed the engine and put the factory 308s back in but kept the carrier.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What GP said but go with a carrier for 8.625 from like a 90 C1500 and use 30 spline axles from a 12 bolt and do a rear disc conversion. This will keep the axles where they belong if breakage occurs. Disc brakes can be done on the cheap no need for high priced kits. I have an 8.625 Eaton posi in my front 10 bolt. If you go that route when ordering be sure to get the right carrier bearings. They are different then regular 8.5 carrier bearings.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg