8.1 4l80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Ok, so this is going to be my questions/ build thread for this project. I have a 1987 k20 that currently has a 350/th400. I am wanting to swap this out for an 8.1 and 4l80e. At this point I have bought nothing for this project but plan to have it done by spring. I am not planning on any mods to the 8.1 right now except maybe a tune. I have a budget of around 5k to do this and will be documenting my costs. Hopefully this thread will contain a lot of Info and can help anyone thinking of doing this in the future. To start off, is there anything special to watch for when buying an engine and trans? Below are some pictures of the truck

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wow nice truck and shop! I will be watching to see how it goes for you as at some point this maybe an option for my crew cab!

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Dirty Larry over on the 67 to 72 Chevy site has put two l8.1 in one in a regular cab one in a Suburban there also is a PDF file if you search Google of a guy that put one in a crew cab 88

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Some quick notes I found doing the same searches.

1) The accessory brackets from a van chassis place the a/c compressor high, so no frame mods required.

2) the fuel map for the 8.1L is the same as other LS engines. It just uses bigger injectors.

3) the egr hits the pinch weld ON THE FIREWALL. AN ALLISON trans is tight in the tunnel. (That is why a body lift came on the 2500hd, like my 2007, from the factory.) I know it is not the same body style, just a reference.

4) Torque management is a blessing and a curse. Blessing fir real world driving and easy on parts. A curse when you need to blow a Stangbanger off the road. :)

Following your build. If I wasn't working on Big Rhonda today, I would post more.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Van brackets are a preference but they are hard to find. The tunnel fitment issue is only with allison transmission.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Van brackets are a preference but they are hard to find. The tunnel fitment issue is only with allison transmission.

Yes, absolutely right about the Allsion trans!

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok, so with a 4l80 I should be good without a body lift?

The egr still hits the pinch weld. Should be able to work around that.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
The egr still hits the pinch weld. Should be able to work around that.
Could I remove the egr and put a block off plate on?

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 6.5td has a 4l80e behind it with zero clearance issues. It has a stand-alone TCI controller which I could adjust the transmissions drive ability with, if I chose to.

And this is in an 86 not a newer truck.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
My 6.5td has a 4l80e behind it with zero clearance issues. It has a stand-alone TCI controller which I could adjust the transmissions drive ability with, if I chose to.

And this is in an 86 not a newer truck.

Ok I should be good then I’ve never heard of having trouble with them.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Hey that's how my truck should look when done, if it ever gets there. You will need to lengthen the rods for the 4x4 shifter to make up for the difference with the 4l80. I have seen some posted that claim low oil pressure so a low mileage one maybe the better option unless you want to refresh one up.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Hey that's how my truck should look when done, if it ever gets there. You will need to lengthen the rods for the 4x4 shifter to make up for the difference with the 4l80. I have seen some posted that claim low oil pressure so a low mileage one maybe the better option unless you want to refresh one up.
I’m looking for a low mileage block, but i know on the ls motors there’s an o ring that goes bad and causes low oil pressure. Is there something like that on these motors?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I’m looking for a low mileage block, but i know on the ls motors there’s an o ring that goes bad and causes low oil pressure. Is there something like that on these motors?

Not sure still leaning about them myself..DirtLarry on www.67-72chevytrucks.com would be the guy to talk to as he has rebuilt at least one. I am also unfamiliar with the internals of an LS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg